Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Cracker Box

IMG universal cookbook

Here's something fun to do on a rainy day, or any time you have too much time on your hands. This is from The Universal Cookbook (1938), "issued by the Universal Life Assurance and Annuity Company" of Winnipeg, Manitoba. It was written for them by Mrs. Olive Kyle, who graduated from the Fannie Farmer Cooking School in Boston. If you wrote a letter to Mrs. Kyle in care of the Universal, they would see that she got it and give it her "prompt attention," which I think is quite sweet.

Cracker Boxes For Salad

Spread narrow salted crackers with creamed butter, sprinkle with paprika. Place in cool oven until butter is absorbed. Dip ends of crackers in a syrup made of 2/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water boiled to crack stage. Fasten three crackers together to form box, place on lettuce covered plate. Turn salad into box.

I would definitely have to write to Mrs. Kyle about this one. I don't think she could give me prompt enough attention though - she lost me with the fastening three crackers together with sugar syrup. Maybe we had better ask Fannie Farmer, too.

1 comment:

Marcheline said...

I'm sensing this isn't at all about food... what she's really saying is this:

"The only time a cracker's gonna get a shot at my sugar box is when he's tossing my salad!"

See, now - doesn't that make more sense than this recipe?