Friday, March 21, 2008

Krunchy Goo, Where Are You?

Womans Day 4
Why, in the 1968 Favorite Recipes of Jaycee Wives: Salads book, of course!

I don't know why anyone would want to call a food item Krunchy Goo. Perhaps one might use the term to name a kind of ersatz Silly Putty, or that goopy plasticky stuff that kids make in kindergarten, sometimes. What is that stuff called? We had some around here once but nobody used it and I threw it out over the summer. I made homemade Play Do once too. It didn't come out very well. But then, this might not either:

Krunchy Goo

2 cans English peas, drained
1 cup diced celery
1 small onion, diced
1 cup sharp diced cheese
3/4 cup Miracle Whip
Salt and pepper to taste


Combine and mix above ingredients. Yield: 8 servings.

I could not have made it up if I tried, not that I want to try and do that. It is so terrible it is almost wonderful, as long as you don't have to eat it. Do you know what I mean?

The ad is from a 1953 Woman's Day, and I thought it fit in with the not-really-edible theme. The manic, frightening happy guy staring at who-knows-what off camera. And he's in charge of actual food - after all he's wearing the chef's hat. But what is he cooking? I wouldn't be surprised if Krunchy Goo was on the menu. The woman, meanwhile, has been hypnotized by the dismantled Lucky Strike. Lucky for the chef, she won't mind if dinner is a little bit - unusual.

Might as well throw a few peeled cigarettes in there, and call it found art. Call it a day, too, and just send out for pizza instead (could they even do that in 1953 though? Probably not. She will have to snap out of her trance and cook something decent. Macaroni, perhaps.)

I will try and come back later with something delicious, and later this weekend we can get into the Easter stuff.

No comments: