Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Steero Bouillon Cubes, 1924

IMG steero LHJ 1924

I am going to try and post later today too, but I wanted to do something small before heading off to the library. And at the library I have learned how to use the microfilm reader/printer AND have discovered that said library (it is the main city one down my way) has got all sorts of old magazines on microfilm - scads of old women's magazines! And you know what that means? Old advertisements, which I love like crazy. So here is one I did yesterday - it could be better, I know! That reader/printer was not the best one. I need to find the perfect one so am trying them all out. Such fun (geeky nerdy fun I realize, but fun nonetheless).

This is from the Ladies' Home Journal circa 1924, part of an ad for bouillon cubes. I thought it had a Mary Poppins vibe to it - I mean the original P.L. Travers book (or books rather, as there are four of them in the series). Specifically the beginning of book one, where Mrs. Banks (who looks like she came out of a 1930s dress catalogue) is freaking out because all the nannies quit on her and here she is with four children running around like the Three (or rather Four) Stooges. Or perhaps the Marx Brothers, there were four of them.

Now in this ad - are those elderly children looking upset over the enormous cook exiting stage left, or are they the parental units, shrunken to symbolize their helpless rage? We have one balding child/man, a Depression-era Charlie Brown with Anger Issues and one confused girl/woman, a deflated 1930s Lucy Van Pelt lookalike, whose energetic crankiness has been mysteriously transferred to her three-haired mate. I guess they are the master and mistress of the house.

However did that enormous cook fit in their tiny-person house? And she doesn't look like a domestic servant to me. She looks like Mrs. Stuckup Knickerbocker after a tough day's shopping at Henri Bendel.

Still, if that didn't convince the ladies of 1924 to rush out and buy Steero bouillon cubes I don't know what would.

And if only Mrs. Banks had had some Steero cubes on hand, she might have calmed down well before Mary P. arrived at Cherry Tree Lane on the 6:42 Black Umbrella Express. "After a tiring afternoon, there is nothing more refreshing than hot STEERO bouillon. "

I don't know - if I had four children to look after, and was as clueless as poor Mrs. Banks (or the couple in the ad) I would be reaching for the Harvey's Bristol Cream bottle, not a bouillon cube.

No comments: