Sunday, August 17, 2008

You're Gonna Lose That Bike

I'm watching a lot of Beatles clips on YouTube these days, and it's amazing to me how easy it is to do this now. As you know I have been a huge Beatles fan since the summer of '69 (OMG, that was 39 years ago!) when a copy of Sgt Pepper found its groovy way into our apartment and I played it every, every day. I was almost 7 and this was just the best thing that had come my way.

A few years later I was visiting some people who knew my parents, and their kids were supposed to take me around that day - awkward for me and for those kids, beyond belief. I had to go swimming at their friends' pool, and I couldn't really swim. They lent me a bike and I couldn't really ride it. Also I didn't know how to work air brakes so I ended up taking a huge spill on a country road and breaking the bike mirror and...well, it just wasn't all that much fun. As we were about to go to the pool, I noticed the Beatles on their TV and I will always remember the intense longing I had to watch this (as opposed to taking in lungfuls of chlorine).

It was the movie Help!, but I didn't know that until years and years later. Back then, before the mighty VCR, you had to just hope that whatever you wanted to see would pop up on television. And even then it was a one-off.

When I remember that day it seems not so far in the past, it made such a strong impression on me (or maybe the impression was all the gravel and sticks that I impaled myself on when I came flying off that bike)...so it is still amazing and incredible that I can just watch whatever I like! On YouTube!

Here's one of my favorite clips from Help!, a retro music video of "You're Gonna Lose That Girl." Film quality is not great, but I still like it. I don't know how Ringo can smoke and play the drums at the same time, though.

No comments: