Sunday, September 21, 2008

Pecan Cookies And Sinks


And the connection between the pecan cookies and the sinks, is...?

- It is apparently National Pecan Cookie Day (it is also National Banana Day, which I am celebrating over on my other blog. Cueing the shameless plug!)

- I found a good recipe in Mabel Claire's 1932 opus, The World's Modern Cookbook.

- Mabel is a little bit obsessed with showing, via black and white photographs, just what you need to have a perfect kitchen, the right supplies to cook with, and seven thousand kinds of mops to clean up afterwards with. She does not, however, show a picture of delicious cookies, pecan or otherwise.

- So we will have to use our imaginations - or else come up with some of these cookies. To wit:

PECAN MACAROONS

3 egg whites
1 cup powdered sugar
3 Tb flour
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
3 drops vanilla

Beat the egg whites stiff. Add the softed powderred sugar gradually. Fold in the flour. Add the vanilla and chopped nuts. Drop in spoonsful on a buttered cookie sheet or pans. Bake 15 minutes in a moderate oven (350 degrees) until a delicate brown. makes 3 dozen macaroons.

There you go!

I know, I know - I haven't done that many recipes lately, and as for the retro cookbooks...same thing. I actually prefer baking recipes and strange recipes (also, of course, strange baking recipes - which is why I adore the Pillsbury Bake Off series).

Also I really, really love retro ads. You may have noticed! New things to come though - not sure what, yet. Stay tuned! Oh, and have a good rest of the weekend - I'll see you tomorrow! I'm off to think of something good to post then...

No comments: