Saturday, October 18, 2008

Broiling Radiantly At Waist Level


Here is an early 1970s advertisement that may or may not being trying for a risque tone. Please insert off-color jokes, if you can think of any, right about here.

This is not appealing. Who wants to broil at waist level, anyway? Even if you are radiant. Even without scouring.

And don't tell me this woman is actually doing any cooking in her fancy muu-muu and slave bracelet and the perfectly flipped hair. She isn't even looking at the stove and she has her hand on one of the burners. Does Magic Chef really think that this is the sort of person who should be near a stove?

She'll be radiant, all right. I just hope she doesn't trip over the open oven door on the way to the first-aid kit.

10 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

And what is she looking at, anyway???

eve cleveland said...

Yipppeeee, I love your site and you!
Hey, come join us at Humor Bloggers and tell me when you sign up so I can use all my undue influence;)
Eve

LoneStarVintageClothing said...

That's totally awesome! I love those old magazine pics! :) You did make a good point!!

Lux said...

Personally, we like to broil at knee level.


;-)

Bill said...

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong, but unless her waist is just below her chin, she is not broiling at waist-level.

Dori said...

I laughed when I saw this ad. Funny stuff. :)

Melanie said...

She's going to broil all right. When that polyester mu-mu melts against that open oven door, she'll be broiling at waist level!

Bill said...

I came back for a second look, and I think, upon reflection, we are being a bit uncharitable.
She's thrown together a full course meal with zero counterspace. The poor thing doesn't even have a sink. Or a refrigerator. I guess she'll just throw away the pots & pans, leftovers, plates & flatware after dinner.
She's quite a plucky gal, now that I think of it.

GoRetroGirl said...

I love the dress.

veganbilly said...

Can do!

http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wafflezombie1wf8.jpg

http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ampinstein1yr0.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kanzune1zh0.jpg

Wish I could post them inline as pics, but you get the idea :)