Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Fluffernutter

Well, here it is, National Fluffernutter Day. I only just found out about this myself, and I thought you might like to know. Louise over at Months of Edible Celebrations has a terrific post on marshmallow fluff, which mentions the fluffernutter, right here.

I've been doing a little Fluffernutter research and trying to pin down just when this sandwich was invented. I know they were around when I was an older kid, in the 1970s. And you can see that this ad - dating from 1953 - does not discuss any sandwich options. They're coming up with things like cake and graham crackers to put the stuff on. Quiet desperation, that. The elf looks tense, you can tell. That's a tense smile.

I don't even now what it is that he's holding up there. He's having to cope with a lot of fluff on the - is it an apple?

No, that's no good.. Don't put this stuff on an apple. I know they suggest it. But don't.

Ideal for more exciting desserts? No no, it is ideal for slopping on a piece of bread and smushing that onto a piece of bread with peanut butter. This makes a perfect seal. It's been scientifically proven, I believe.

This was probably a 1960s invention - the fluffernutter. It just sounds 1960s, doesn't it? It could almost be the name of a Haight Ashbury rock group (on the Vanilla Fudge/Strawberry Alarm Clock continuum). The Fluffernutter. Yeah, they put out one album, Sugar High, and then broke up.

Actually, there is a 1969 song that mentions fluffernutters, by Free Design, called "Love You." They mention it at the end, you have to get through a lot of a capella happy first. I'm not sure how much I like it, so I'll just give you the link. Here you go.

Over here at Foodaphilia you can see a Fluffernutter Cake.

Now at this point I must tell you that I never have had a fluffernutter. My mother was not the sort of person that you asked about the merging of bread and marshmallow products. A few years ago, I bought a jar, with the idea of making some - and then I forgot about it. For about a year. I mean, it wasn't at the top of my priority list.

Then I threw it out - because that stuff separates eventually. It is gross. So if you buy the fluffer, don't delay the nutter.Marshmallow Fluff on Foodista

7 comments:

Don said...

I vaguely remember that stuff on vanilla wafers as early as maybe 1960. Not sure but I think I'm right about the year - give or take one.

Bill said...

I don't think my mother allowed this in the house. However, I did buy some of this stuff a few years ago because I planned on making Mamie Eisenhower's fudge recipe.

You are right. This gunk separates. I found the jar at the back of my pantry last year when I cleared out the detritus. It was scary!

Lea-Ann said...

I had never heard of a fluffernutter until a friend of mine introduced them to me when we were in 7th grade (uh, roughly 1984). I would NEVER have tried this thing, but when she ate it, there seemed to be some glowing aura around it. So I tried it. It was FANTASTIC! And occasionally, I will fix this for my kids. But lemme tell ya, eat it on Wonderbread and you will be an addict!

Yolander said...

You've never had a fluffernutter??? As a young girl in New England, I LIVED on fluffernutters. As a 33 year old fighting her waist expansion, I haven't had one in years. But I should and so should you!! I highly recommend crunchy P with it. Also, melted crunchy P on ice cream with Fluff? 'Nother nummy treat!

~~louise~~ said...

I can not believe I, of all people, didn't know it was National Fluffernutter Day. I'm going to add it and your link to my calendar right now! FYI: "The origins of Marshmallow Fluff actually go back to 1917." You can find out more about the "sticky" invention here.

Emjoi Gently said...

Why "party" treats?
Why the quotes?

Is there an undertone of sarcasm or a suggestive euphemism that I am missing here?

"Marshmallow" on your "baked apple". Nudge nudge, wink wink.
(I have no idea what it means)

The Bewildered Brit said...

Aaah, here it is!

You know, you really should try one. The peanut butter takes the edge off the cloying sweetness of the fluff.

Over the years I've been to many academic Fluffernutter conferences. The date when the Fluffernutter was created is hotly debated. All we can say for certain is that it appeared after 1919 (but more likely, after 1921 with the introduction of Wonder Bread) and before 1962--the earliest print use of "fluffernutter".

Needless to say, as this is such an impassioned subject, the conferences usually move quickly on from academic debate and onto threats of violence, occasionally culminating in fisticuffs.