Monday, October 13, 2008

Let Them Eat Wacky Cake

These are the options. A stream versus a washing machine. Hmmm, that's a tough one. Let me see.

OK, I choose the washing machine. That was easy!

But this glamorous lady is extremely pro-stream. Look at that stack of blankets she's brought down to the water's edge! Maybe she just likes to pose there with the blankets, pretending to be a pioneer woman. Who knows why?

She probably likes to take the Imperial margarine out of the tub and churn it, too.

And don't forget, this is an electric blanket we're talking about. You can just see a cord on top of the stack of blankets. I hope she isn't going to be dunking that in the water. She looks mighty calm for someone flirting with electrocution, don't you think?

The blanket looks clean already, too. Don't tell me she has nothing better to do than haul a stack of clean blankets down to the riverbank to rewash them by hand!

Finally: there is no soap. That's another clue right there. Conclusion: this is the Marie Antoinette of Levittown, pretending to be a peasant girl (I don't know how she found such a rural looking stream though - this must be way out past the development).

Soon she will be flouncing around saying "Let them eat Wacky Cake!"*

But first, before they do that, they have to help her wring out that blanket.

*Bonus recipe, from Kate Aitken's Canadian Cook Book (1965 edition). Advertisement from 1960 House Beautiful.

Wacky Cake Aitken 1965

7 comments:

Grr, Midnight & Cocoa said...

I wasn't online much this weekend and am catching up with all I've missed. As usual, thanks for making me smile!

~~louise~~ said...

I just can't imagine this woman by a stream in Levittown. Is there even a stream in Levittown? She could always bake the eggless Wacky Cake in the dryer @ 300 degrees. Or is it 350?

Bill said...

Yep, that's a wacky ad. And the wacky lady needs some instruction on washing laundry in a stream. Those rocks aren't there for decoration, girlie; you need to beat the hell out of your clothes with them.

Somewhere in my recipe book collection there is a Hurry Up Wacky Cake. I guess it's for folks who need to go crazy right away.
I also have a recipe for an Earthquake Cake. I actually made that once, just for fun. There are some 'wacky' recipes floating around in retro-land.

Jayne said...

I wash by hand but, alas, I'm yet to find a creek and a rock on pound my laundry in.:P

JD at I Do Things said...

What makes this cake wacky??? The vinegar?

JD at I Do Things

Jewelgirl said...

I am up late so I must of had that
wacky cake, vinegar?.... I think that
is the wacky ingredient..... you
try it I am not gonna try it..
ha ha

stampylisa said...

what's even wackier, is that there really isn't such a thing as 100% Virgin Acrilan, now is there?!? Like is that from the Acrilan Animal?