Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Unbearable Lightness of Beans

Ann Page is getting philosophical, now that the weather is getting, as she so rightly says, frosty. The inner man! I thought the inner man fed upon the intangibles - the beauty of nature, a really good book, a seat on the subway.

Not baked beans. But Ann Page says that the inner man is hungry. Hungry for canned baked beans. Ann Page brand baked beans, strangely enough.

Now I would not appreciate a lumberjack crew roaring home, as Ann puts it. And certainly not while brandishing a lot of firewood.

That is a pretty tiny crew, though - they are about a sixth of the size of their dinner. Their roars must be a little squeaky.

And they are bringing firewood to the table. Please leave the kindling on the front porch, gentlemen.

They are only going to roar louder if this is what they are getting for dinner. I mean, just look at it. Canned baked beans dumped on top of some big old onions. Why is this called Northwoods Beans? What does this have to do with the Northwoods?

And do I really want to know?

Not really. I can free-associate some things that this picture makes me think of. And some of them might have to do with the great outdoors.

But I am going to leave it to your imagination. It is the weekend and the weather (here, anyway) is going to be really nice. Perfect for a nice October hike.

And I promise that no one will have to eat Northwood Beans afterward.

9 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Apparently those guys aren't happy with Anne's beans or the Good Housekeeping Guarantee. They're going to prove how "real" lumberjacks fire up those beans...

It's beautiful out here too. Have a GREAT weekend! I'm off to PA!

Chat Blanc said...

hehe, I'm not sold by that picture either! ;P

Amy said...

O M G baked beans and cooked whole onions? wow oh wow, I'd hate to be lying in bed later on next to whoever eats those.

GumbyTheCat said...

I love these old ads! I still remember when I was a wee lad seeing newspaper ads for clothes, cars, etc. - all drawings of course. One ad advertised brand new Ford Mustangs for like $2000... ah those were the days.

Kirsten said...

Where have you been all my life, Anne? I didn't know that it was that easy! Canned beans and my man with be satisfied! I've been doing it the hard way.

Jennifer said...

I tagged you! Go to my blog to check it out!

Erica said...

Oh, barf... beans on onions?!? This goes in my "hell no" pile. It might (and I stress MIGHT) please the inner man, but it will play hell with the man's innards...

Speedcat Hollydale said...

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT!!!!!!!

Hooooo Weeeeeeee!

Lova lovalova LOVE me some Baked BEANs

WOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!


i like em`

Speedcat Hollydale said...

innerds OK!

... can I have another bowl??