Sunday, December 21, 2008

All Is Calm, All Is Extemely Bright


Well, I suppose this is an idea. Not a good idea - just an idea. It looks like an alien Christmas tree, beamed down from another galaxy to terrorize Levittown. They say it "springs to life after dark." It sounds quite terrifying, doesn't it? Let's hope it doesn't start stomping around town, the anti-hero of its own 50s B-movie, crushing commercial blocks and puncturing the big Santa balloons in the Christmas parade.

And according to GE, this is only the beginning. They are talking "exciting year-round effects." Because maybe that Sparkle Tree will - refuse to go away! Yeah, it's April and the poor people in that house can't get it to go back to GE headquarters, or at least into a few packing cases in the garage.

This November 1959 ad is from Popular Mechanics - not Popular Neighbors, obviously.

Apologies for the left margin being a bit curly, it was like that in Google Books as well as when I scanned my copy - which I didn't want to destroy. Anyway, you get the idea.

*********

Note: Thank you so much to my new friend Crystal Raen for the One Lovely Blog award! She has a fabulous blog and Etsy shop, which I am so glad I discovered through Entrecard.


And thank you also to Vintage Menswear Daily who has just written about that controversial milk bottle caddy we were talking about the other day...I've been visiting this wonderful site ever since I joined Entrecard and it is fantastic. Please do visit them both!

12 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm wishing there was more information on exciting year-round effects! Sounds so funny. Love these old ads!
~Jenny~

Melanie said...

Notice how that tree has an other worldly glow around the edges just like the ghosts used to in the old Scooby-Doo cartoons.

Lidian said...

Jenny - Yes, I was wondering what that was all about.

Melanie - You're right! It really would make the perfect Scooby Doo villain (or disguise for a villain) - It would take a LOT of Scooby Snacks to get Shaggy and Scooby to check this out! :)

mincognita said...

Scoff if you will, but Clark Griswold would have loved it!

~~louise~~ said...

I think I saw a tree glowing like that in Amityville. What a Horror!

Lidian said...

mincognita (what a great name!) - Yes, he really would.

Louise - Amityville is the perfect place for it...

Crystal Raen said...

Oh my, I must show this to my brother-in-law (his yard is reminiscent of the Griswold's he would have loved to have this!!!)

You are so welcome for the award! Thanks for giving me a shout-out! :-)

Lidian said...

Crystal Raen - I wonder if anyone actually put one of these up? I guess someone might have...

Bill said...

I'm just glad that the ad includes the three-way directional arrows. I could never have figured out on my own the relationship between the large spotlight, the mise en scene with small spotlight & tree, and the wrapped present.

Jewelgirl said...

I am sorry I always wanted a tree
like that!? Its a cool old ad!
Wishing you and your family a happy holiday! Jewelgirl :)

Maria said...

Year-round? I like that idea! But a tree with a mind of its own, taking over your neighborhood? That reminds me of the commercial (not sure if you've seen it) with the Christmas tree spying a green bean casserole on the window sill inside a house, somehow uprooting itself, opening the window with its branch, and taking a huge spoonful of the casserole. It'll be a scary future once we start giving the trees so much power!

Lidian said...

Bill - I like those arrows too.

Jewelgirl - It is such a fun ad, I agree! And I wish you all the best too :)

Maria - I wish I had seen that commercial, but we don't always get the same ones in Canada...I will look for it on YouTube.