Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Christmas Cannon

Ah, the good old days and the lovely old-fashioned, sensible toys that children used to have back in - well, back in 1907, for example.

How about this little Gas Cannon for your boy? It's practical, lasting, realistic and "positively free from danger." This probably means that it won't break - it's free from danger. Unlike - say - your house, your furniture, and your grandmother's Lowestoft china.

Apparently "it can be fired in the house with absolute security." That's good to know. It fires 20 shots a minute and costs a penny for every 500 shots. All of which ought to take care of the service for twelve.

Extra bonus points to the clever boy who hits the gravy boat head on!

From Popular Mechanics (January 1907), thank you Google Books.

8 comments:

Amy said...

The gas cannon? LOL what can I say?

Tori Lennox said...

I wonder how it would work against our obnoxiou neighbor's motorcycle....

Melanie said...

LOL! This reminds me a bit of the lovely handmade catapault my dad made my son a couple years ago. Christmas eve, my son, my dad and my son-in-law shot peanuts in the shell all over my house. I found them in the house plants, behind furniture....... I think the gas cannon would be less mess to clean up behind!

Lux said...

Eeeeek! That's skeery!

Lidian said...

Amy - Well, exactly. Hard to know what to say!

Tori - LOL! It would probably be quite - useful.

Melanie - We had peanuts at one of my birthday parties circa 1967, while watching a movie on one of those roll-up screens (cutting-edge technology!) and the kids ground the shells into the carpet, they were everywhere (the kids and the shells). My mother was really not too pleased!

Lux - It sure is!

Bill said...

I'll bet ground-in peanut shells were a joy to get out of the carpet. Probably the last time that peanut shells appeared at a children's party in your mother's home.

What movie did you watch?

Lidian said...

Bill - You are as always most perceptive - yes, that was a one-off. My mother talked about it (not constantly, thank goodness) for years. We watched a Charlie Chaplin film I think, and maybe a Laurel and Hardy. They came in huge rolls in square boxes, I think my father rented them from - where? No idea. It was all very high tech to me. Except, of course, for the peanuts.

Cari Hislop said...

Notice how the ad doesn't mention ending up with traumatized house pets and a vet bill to stitch the cat's ear back on. I see a vision with multiple children each with their own canon...civil war in miniature. This could be just the toy for unwanted children!