Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Hair Color Of Your Memes

Bad pun, great Clairol ad from 1946. Apparently they only make the "rarest colors in nature," like silver blond - a color so rare that I have never seen it.

Well, the model on the right says she has it, but that's only because she used Moongold. Because her friends at Clairol told her to. Which is no doubt why she looks so ecstatic.

I personally have not seen true 'silver blond' in nature. Unless it's a euphemism for grey, in which case yes I have, there's some on my head.

But anyway...The link here is that meme and dream rhyme. Oh, I told you it wasn't any good! Things will get better once I finish the Christmas shopping, I promise.

Which leads us to part two...

Preston passed along a meme to me recently which I am going to adapt somewhat in a kitschy, retro way. I'll give you the original rules and invite you all to do it too, if you like.

Here's the original meme:

1. 4 jobs you've had
2. 4 movies you can watch any time
3. 4 places you've lived
4. 4 TV shows you loved
5. 4 places you've vacationed
6. 4 novels you've enjoyed rereading
7. 4 websites you visit often
8. 4 places you'd like to be right now

Here's what I'm going to do:

1. I'll do a post on 4 weird retro jobs,

2. And one featuring retro ads and/or postcards from one place I've lived, one place I've been to on vacation, and one I want to go to.

The TV shows, movies and novels I can tell you about in a minute - they're at least partly retro, as you will see. And I can tell you four websites that I really like too. In other words: half the meme here, and then two more posts derived from it.

4 TV Shows: I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, Blackadder and A Bit of Fry and Laurie

4 Movies: On the Town, Casablanca, Wings of Desire, A Series of Unfortunate Events. Bonus movie that I forgot to add: A Hard Day's Night (how could I forget it? I've only watched it about seventy-jillion times)

4 Novels: Bleak House, The Secret History, A Dark-Adapted Eye, The Edible Woman

4 Websites: These are reference sites, there are too many blogs that I love and I couldn't possibly choose only 4, therefore:

Wikipedia
New York Public Library Digital Gallery
Brooklyn Public Library Brooklyn Collection
Duke University Digital Collections

Speaking of which...the ad is from the ever-dreamy Duke University Ad Access collection.

I'll do the postcard post and the weird jobs post later on this week. I also have some more ads that Jamie and Amy and Eve have sent me - you guys are so nice!

And we also have some holiday-type things to look at. I'll see you later, I have got some posts to write (and shopping to do, but I'd rather not do that).

And PS: I don't know where my Smiley things went! They are still in my template but I think maybe they ran off to the Caribbean for a little winter holiday. Pretty clever, those little smileys! I expect them back as soon as I can get in touch with them.

9 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

Hey, I've got some of that silver blond mixed in with my dark brown. It's very attention-getting. *grumble*

JD at I Do Things said...

This is the first time I've really hung around and looked thru your blog. I love it! You must put in a lot of time and effort.

As for "silver blonde"? Yeah. I think they mean gray.

JD at I Do Things

Lidian said...

Tori - Yeah, isn't it swell?

JD - Aw, thank you. You know I love your blog, too. You didn't? Well, I do!

Thinkinfyou said...

Maybe silver blonde, is now what they call platinum blonde?

P.S. I really love your blog!

Jenn Calling Home said...

What a fun site! This one is going into my Feeds. If you stop by tomorrow, you might find your
Smileys. They're hiding out in a numbered list I just created.

Prefers Her Fantasy Life said...

Q: What's the first thing Neil Armstrong saw on the moon?

A: Alice.

Amy said...

I love I luv Lucy and Blackadder, have you seen The Young Ones? They're a similar type of comedy as Blackadder and SO funny.

Needless To Say said...

I love The Secret History! And I think I'm also sporting some silver blonde (natural, of course).

Lidian said...

Thinknfyou - I think you're right, it must be platinum. Thank you! And I just went to visit your blog, it looks great and I will be back!

Jenn Calling Home - Thank you, and thank you. So my Smileys were visiting you? You don't happen to have any Jell-O by any chance, do you?

Meg - Another Honeymooners fan! We do trivia quizzes about that show, we're quite a raucous bunch around here...

Amy - I haven't, will put on my list. Oh, and I forgot QI, which I've only seen in YouTube clips. I adore Stephen Fry from afar. Also Hugh Laurie.

Needless To Say - It is such a great book, I'm glad you like it too. Oh nuts, I forgot Revolutionary Road. That's the problems with me and memes, I remember all the stuff I left out at like 3 am or a week later.