Friday, December 26, 2008

The Hair Root Of All Evil

In the end it's best to just rip it right out. It's cathartic! There will be new beauty for you, after all.

The Mahler Epilator is here to help. It will bring permanent relief! From all sorts of things.

That sounds ominous. How will an Epilator help relieve this girl of her annoying roommate, her love problems, of the enormous bills she ran up at the beauty parlor? Perhaps the Epilator will march in and demand a refund of her money.

I certainly would.

Also, if you use this thing, you will be charming and have new freedom of mind. Oh, yes you will! You cannot resist the power of the Mahler Epilator.

And yet our heroine looks thoughtful - conflicted, you might say. She looks like charm and freedom of mind are not things she's well acquainted with.

That's the way it is in the film-noir world of beauty. And epilators.

Ad from Cosmopolitan (1966), where you can find all kinds of other things to worry about, too.

10 comments:

Laane said...

Hi!

I'm one of your entrecard-droppers and I want to wish you Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

Thanks for entrecarddropping!

Lidian said...

Hi Laane - Thanks for stopping by, hope you are having a great holiday!

Bill said...

I'm wondering if our gal maimed herself because, in her zeal, she did not read the instructions carefully so that she could learn to use the contraption safely.

She seems pensive, and filled with regret.

Tori Lennox said...

She's obviously thinking about the PAIN this contraption is going to cause.

Melanie said...

I think she's thinking about the cathartic aspect of it. This time of year can't we all use a little catharsis in our lives?

Anne said...

I would love permanent relief of all things. Sadly, Cosmo still has the same type of ads, pushing beauty products to make women's lives better just by looking better.

Carol said...

Well, I guess she could just shave. I mean, it's sort of old fashioned, but it works for me.

Theresa said...

I have to ask...(I don't read Cosmo)... What is an epilator? I'm almost afraid to find out. No photo of the product - and that is frightening!

Happy Holidays, Lidian!

Lidian said...

Bill - Yes, I think maybe she did not read the booklet. Looks like something...went wrong.

Tori - So am I!

Melanie - Yes, but not this way..

Anne - Yes, it does. The same sorts of ads, only with modern hairstyles.

Carol - I'm with you. Old-fashioned, but I look so much happier!

Theresa - An epilator removes unwanted leg (or wherever) hair (yikes!)
Happy holidays to you, too!

P.L. Frederick said...

It's murder, murder I say! Gloria (her name is Gloria) sure is in a pickle after KILLING unwanted hair root. They said it would be convenient and private, but now she can't sleep at night, she just can't. 16-page illustrated booklet, therapy and lawyer not included.

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)