Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Magic Neckline

Lounging is a good thing, especially right after the holidays. Old sweatpants and hoodies, slippers that look like big plushy black-and-white cows. A few glasses of something bracing. The box of chocolate that is morally OK because you got it as a gift, therefore you must have some.

And then there's the very glamorous Margie Douglas out in LA in the early 1960s...lounging in - this.

Perhaps a cocktail lounge is where you'd find Margie and her magic neckline. I don't think she would be very comfortable lounging around the house in this getup. A skin tight Dynel unitard with a big belt buckle in the back? More than the neckline would need to be magic to get into that thing. And never mind trying to sit down in it.

The magic of the neckline, by the way, is that it always stays in place. No deviations in cleavage! I am sure that once you get this on, nothing's moving around. At all. It must be like you were lounging in iron Spanx. Good times.

This lounger is "exclusively Margie's" - she's even marked it with her initials. That means that either this lady is Margie, or she's borrowing the lounger - she's going to be in big trouble for pinching it! How about the drink, is that Margie's too?

I suppose Margie thinks we will all be able to lie on the sofa watching TV and eating delicious salty snacks in this thing. I just can't see it happening though.

Note: I have just been informed that this is in fact an old photo of my friend Margie over at Margie and Edna's Basement! I am not surprised to see that she was so glamorous - and I want to know what else she had for sale in the "free fashion catalogue"!

******

Thank you to my friend Carol who writes the wonderfully funny She Lives for the Your Blog Is Fabulous award!

15 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

A monogramed lounger? Is she afraid she'll forget who she is? I'm glad I didn't find one of those under my tree.

Carol said...

The heck with the neckline! I want to know how she gets that waistline!

I hate her. Even though I know that today she's probably 65 and her chins are totally covering her neckline.

Margie and Edna said...

Margie here. That sure does look like me, dear. Have you been in my old photos?

Bill said...

If the gi-normous belt buckle is in the back, how does she lounge around at all?

Lidian said...

Louise - I think after a few drinks, she might need a little visual cue.

Carol - She probably has an industrial strength girdle on, or built in!

Margie and Edna - You know, I was wondering if that was you, Margie! I almost mentioned it but you haven't posted any old photos recently so I did not like to presume! I may have to put in an edit...

Bill - I guess she lounges standing up.

Frogs in my formula said...

Her waist cannot be real. Unless she's Barbie??

Broadway Matron said...

Amazing but real people actually lived like that and dressed like that - glad I was just a little kid back then...

Amy said...

Gosh the lady who's wearing it, her waist looks so little, wonder if it would have the same affect on me? I need all the help I can get lol...

Lux said...

I'm not surprised that that was Margie, too! :)

schizoshrink said...

dropped ec! =) mind if we xchange links?

Melanie said...

I used to have that waistline, four kids ago! That doesn't mean I'd have been caught dead in a get-up like that. Yikes!

Lidian said...

Frogs in my formula - She may be related to Barbie. Or it may be a girdle.

Broadway Matron - Oh, me too! My mother was a fashion plate back in the 50s and I was always glad that I came of age in the late 70s (maybe not for the Bee Gees music so much, or the 80s shoulder pads, but you know what I mean!)

Amy - She may have a teeny waist but she can't lounge as well as we can! :)

schizoshrink - I'll try and visit soon, OK? :)

Melanie - Yikes is the perfect word...

Lidian said...

Lux - I kind of thought it was Margie, even before she told us! :)

Shay said...

Is Margie standing on tippy-toe or did she steal a pair of Barbie's sandals?

Lidian said...

Shay - I think both.