Monday, December 29, 2008

Mint Cocktail Chewing Gum

Willy Wonka, please take note of this. It is all very well to invent a gum that simulates a three-course meal - lthough one would prefer not to pay for the meal by transforming into a giant blueberry. However, Wonka seems to have neglected the possibilities of the cocktail hour - unlike the purveyors of toothpaste, for example.

So into the marketing gap comes Warrens with this mystifying gum. Can chewing gum function as a cocktail? Oh, probably not, they did put "Cocktail" in quotation marks. Just in case we got confused.

Personally, I prefer, say, a whiskey sour or a vodka and tonic that is drinkable. Comes in a glass. Because holding onto a glass - as Margie very well knows! - looks fun and also just gives you something to hang onto. And holding onto a pack of gum just isn't the same.

However, chewing this gum will turn you into a popular singer, it would seem. Although how you are going to belt out a few numbers while chomping on a wad of Mint Cocktail goodness is anyone's guess.

The copy suggests that you will also become a great social success. And that the chomped-upon gum remains full of - and I quote - "zest and zing," even after you've been chewing away like Violet Beauregarde. Oh, and also that everyone is talking about this gum.

If you hold the package up, instead of a drink, when you are out at a holiday party, they won't just be discussing the gum. They'll be talking about you, too. Guaranteed.


Many thanks to Wishbook for this wonderful 1945 advertisement, link here.

14 comments:

Melanie said...

I think I'd rather have that whiskey sour in a glass too please. Gum chewing always interferes with my drinking.

Tori Lennox said...

It seems to me, if you chewed very much of this, you'd start to smell like a wino in some back alley somewhere. Not sure how that would make you a social success. But maybe that's just me.

Da Old Man said...

A cocktail blend of mint flavors?

That is one great tagline. Much more sophisticated than double your pleasure

Daughter said...

I feel like it should be called "Mint Effeminate Gum" since chewing it will apparently turn you into a androgynous wussy cartoon.

Paula Williams said...

I wonder if one would be able to obtain a license to sell this gum in Utah. Or the dry counties of Texas?

Amy said...

oooh what if you turn into Violet Beauregard when you chew this cocktail concoction? I'm picturing a round blue person being rolled across the room...

Lidian said...

Melanie - It is best to do them at different times, yes.

Tori - Maybe they measured social success differently back then (I think this is a mid-50s ad)...

Da Old Man - They were probably aiming for the Rat Pack wannabes. Although I can't see Dean et al chewing this stuff, can you?

Daughter - It does sort of look like you turn into a Hanna Barbera joke if you chew it...

Paula - Interesting question. And certainly not during Prohibition (except in speakeasies - or cheweasies).

Amy - Yeah, that would not make you so popular at the party, would it?

Bill said...

I really don't get this product. I hope Warren had a paper route, or something else to fall back on to keep a roof over his head.
Nice packaging, though.

Frogs in my formula said...

That's hilarious. It's also so very odd, because chewing gum in public is such a no-no when it comes to etiquette. I mean, it's just so uncouth. And you'd still probably have a headache the next day--from all the chewing!

Carol said...

Ew. I don't even chew gum. Just pour mine in a shot glass and stand back.

ettarose said...

Gum and liquor never go together. I want my Long Island Tea in a glass also please.

Lidian said...

Bill - Poor Warren. Maybe he was the one singing in the ad.

Frogs in my Formula - That's a good point, chewing gum endlessly is not a well-known social grace.

Carol and ettarose - I'm with you! We can go over by the bar, away from the karaoke-crazed cocktail-gum chewers...

Reese said...

There is a brand out today that has a mojito flavor. Tastes good to me!

Lidian said...

Reese - That does sound good!