Friday, December 12, 2008

Preparing For Nylon, And Other Fun Jobs

There certainly are a lot of strange little retro job ads around.

Many of them are make-money-at-home schemes, of course. The jobs aimed at women involve selling greeting cards and stockings, stuff like that. The men all want to be detectives or super-spies through taking a correspondence course (tin badge and big magnifying glass not included). And if they aren't off trying to make like Sam Spade, they want to work with dangerous, possibly explosive materials:


Job #1 (1929) - Amazingly Easy Way To Get Into Electricity. Careful detonating that thing, whatever it is!


Job #2 (1945) - Prepare For Nylon! If you write to these guys, you will get one free outfit and one free stocking. Prepare for one leg to be cold, too.


Job #3 (1972) - No experience needed, huh? Around that big saw? I think experience would be a very good idea.


Job #4 (1966) - Sell Happiness Napkins! Who wouldn't want a napkin that made you happy? You will make a quick $50 with napkins that say really happy things like "Pennsylvania Dutch"(huh?) and "Chuckles and Charm" (but I hate Chuckles...they don't make me happy at all!)

The men with no experience need to step away from the electricity and the saws. Maybe they could sell nylons and napkins and let the women handle the sharp, dangerous stuff. I'd just feel better that way.

13 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

I wish I had some of those happiness napkins so I could force them on my dad.

Bill said...

That man in the top ad looks like he is seconds away from taking The Dirt Nap.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Da Old Man said...

Ok, I have been out of work for a while, but I used to tutor math, and sharpening saws can make one 6 bucks an hour or as much as 20 or 30 a week? That's putting in 3 to 5 hours a week?
Are they trying to interest the least ambitious folks on the planet?

Melanie said...

I wish there were more guys around who still knew how to sharpen saws and knives and things. I've got a whole pile of skil saw blades laying out in the shop desperately in need of some sharpening.

Dwacon® said...

Is Nylon still made out of nylon?

Frogs in my formula said...

What.were.people.thinking? (I am including "Anonymous" in that question.) What were advertisers and Anonymous thinking??

papercages said...

Wow, $6 an hour! How could you ever spend all that money?

Lidian said...

Tori - It would be useful to have a pack in the cupboard just in case, really. If one was having a bad day or something.

Bill - In which case he really should not be anywhere near that big whatever-it-is.

Da Old Man - Probably!

Melanie - It would be useful, I guess, in that case.

Dwacon - I think it is...

Frogs in my Formula - No idea!

Papercages - Buying Happiness Napkins, perhaps.

Kat said...

I CAN EARN UP TO 6 DOLLARS AN HOUR?? Hot damn where do I sign up?

Lidian said...

Kat - You and me both!

Celia Pleete said...

HAHAHAHAHHA these are great ads.

Lidian said...

Celia - Thank you! That is a real compliment from you because you find the most amazing retro ads and images.