Monday, January 12, 2009

Another Woodbury Deb

You're not just any old baby, my girl. You are a debutante. In white satin. Yes, you are! Now stop that drooling and listen up. You will wear ballgowns. You will be popular. There will be many, many gentleman callers.

I can't be out there waltzing around the cotillion anymore. Because I'm here at home dressed up like Alice in Wonderland looking after you. It isn't that I mind or anything...well, not really. As long as you're the top debutante of 1965, that's all that matters.


No pressure, kid. Really. Amanda Wingfield here is going to relax and just enjoy watching you grow up and develop into your very own person...

...Provided that "your very own person" is defined as "top debutante of 1965" and "perfect young lady who does whatever Mother suggests."

Let's see, this ad is from 1947. So the kid will be reaching her late teens in the mid-1960s. And she won't want to go to formal parties wearing a white ballgown. There will be a backlash. Can you imagine what sort of fighting is going to be going on between these two in the future? Someone's going to have her mouth washed out with soap, all right.

Guess what kind.

From Duke University's Ad Access collection.

20 comments:

TNT2008 said...

We have such dreams for our little ones and well...things do not always go according to the plan as they say.

Lin said...

Geesh, this could be MY mom, except she likes eyelet. "I see you in eyelet" she's saying, but in reality it's "I see you in therapy".

Bill said...

This truly is a miracle product. It plans infant girls' futures, and makes men marriage-minded.
Is it still available on the market?

Queenly Things said...

And she won't be wearing a bra and she'll be listening to those awful Beatles or worse. Plus, her boyfriend will have long hair and smoke pot. Oh, the tribulations of being a parent.

Tori Lennox said...

Nope, that Woodbury Deb is gonna grow up to be a flower child. I just know it. She'll move to a commune and attend Woodstock.

Lidian said...

TNT2008 - Yes, this lady's dreams are way too detailed. This never works out!

Lin - LOL! I remember eyelet. Did not care for it, actually.

Bill - It sure is an incredible soap.

Vallen - One just KNOWS she will be doing all that, and more! :)

Tori - I see her in a commune, too! Cooking many whole grains. There will be chanting. there will not be any Woodbury's

Amy said...

That mother sounds like she could be the perfect child star mother...poor kid.

Frogs in my formula said...

Wow, what an ad. Bumpy seas ahead. I wish they did a follow up ad...for family counseling!

Lidian said...

Amy - Yes, exactly. This woman is probably thinking about Hollywood, too.

Frogs in my Formula - The counseling ad would be very 70s, Games people Play etc. I can see it.

Melanie said...

I have three willful daughters, you suppose that wonderful soap would work on them???? I don't see any of them in white satin. :(

ScreenwritingforHollywood said...

I like your site... lots of cool imagery and funny blogs.

Web-Betty said...

I'm so glad I have boys...

Lidian said...

Melanie - I have two girls, and they choose their own brand of soap! :)

Screenwriting - Thank you!

Web-Betty - LOL!

Erica said...

"I see you in white satin..."

"Mom, I'm a boy."

"Shhh, sweetie, let mommy dream!"

Rhonda said...

What a great ad! It is fun to imagine how times changed between the time of that ad and the baby reaching teenage years.

Mrs. Mecomber said...

ROFL!!

You are SO RIGHT about the coming 60s generation gap. Wait'll that bomb hits for that poor mom, eh? I can't say the 60s was much of an improvement in anything, though...m

Lidian said...

Erica - LOL! Not going there!

Rhonda - It really is, and as I was at the end of the so-called baby boom, these ads really grab me.

Mrs. Mecomber - The 60s were tough for the older generation for sure...

Sparkina said...

Her mother may see her in white satin, but she'll probably end up a day-glo colored mini. Living in a little flat on Carnaby Street. With a prettily handsome young gent, probably named Martin or Gordon or Owen or something British like that, who looks very like the very young David Bowie (Think "Laughing Gnome" and "Love You Till Tuesday")
There are worse fates. Far worse.

Sparkina said...

Her mother may see her in white satin, but she'll probably end up in a day-glo colored mini. Living in a little flat on Carnaby Street. With a prettily handsome young gent, probably named Martin or Gordon or Owen or something British like that, who looks very like the very young David Bowie (Think "Laughing Gnome" and "Love You Till Tuesday")
There are worse fates. Far worse.

Lidian said...

Sparkina - Oh, a young David Bowie! That sounds very nice, as fates go :)