Friday, January 9, 2009

Eczema And The Single Girl

Welcome to the Retro Anti-Feminist Ad of the Week! Some weeks of course it may be - not an ad. For example, I have part of an article (i.e. torn out page saved in book for recipe, but with article bit on reverse - are you still with me?) in which male comedians joke about how women don't "get" funny stuff. Oh, we get it all right. And so will those male comedians! Only not today....I'm gearing up for that one.

Today we're going to talk about Married versus Single. Because actually it has nothing to do with your marital status. It has everything to do with using dry skin lotion though. And whether you actually care about how you look. Because everyone knows that once you get hitched, you start wearing outfits designed by Krook's Rag and Bone Shop. You let yourself go. You just don't care.

Being Single, conversely, means you actually mind if you look like an old dried-up lizard that's been baking on a rock in the Gobi Desert since Grover Cleveland was President. Or since Genghis Khan was stomping around causing unmoisturized havoc.

It's succinct, is what this ad is, managing to insult and offend all women regardless of their marital status. It's an equal opportunity anti-feminist statement. Impressive.

What is not impressive, though, is that bikini bottom. No, children, those are not her underpants. I remember the bathing suits on women back in 1968 (from observation, as I was only six at the time) and this was within the range of fashionable. You also saw this fabric on sofas. Maybe the "Married" women covered their sofas in old bikini bottoms, since they weren't flouncing around the beach with bottles of skin lotion. Or else they were hiding out in Mongolia with the other reptiles, plotting havoc.

[From Good Housekeeping, 1968 - strangely enough, not from Cosmo, where it would fit in perfectly.]

22 comments:

Needless To Say said...

I had a bathing suit that was distressingly like this one. Worse, I liked it! (inner wince)

Lin said...

You know what's worse than bikini bottoms made of this fabric? Pants!! Remember the funky patterns that we used to wear? Ugh. And I think we had patterned shirts on at the same time that made your eyes go all googly. Yes, we were fashionistas back then!

Bill said...

It must be my monitor screen, but it looks like the lady in the ad has a hairy forearm. Or maybe her hubby paints his nails.

Lidian said...

Needless To Say - I think I had a dress made out of this fabric, too - or something very close, when I was little.

Lin - Yes, I do remember! And men's ties, some of them looked like this too. So trendy! :)

Bill - You know, I was thinking she looked a little hairy, too. But her skin is soft, that's the key thing here.

GoRetroGirl said...

The bathing suit (at least I think that's a bathing suit) is pretty groovy, anyway!

OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique said...

Oh Baby. . . brings back memories. . .hilarious!! Great Post. . .thanks for your very creative writings!

Carol said...

Oh my! I too had a suit similar to this one. I was 14 or something. Then, I graduated to a nice lace flouncy one. LOL Ah, the good ol' days!

Carol @SheLives said...

Why do you suppose they put that big ol' honkin' wedding ring on that model?

Lidian said...

GoRetroGirl - It would be a retro gem today, yes. And cost plenty in a vintage store, too.

Ollie - Thanks! :)

Carol - Oh yes, some of the things we wore back then! Maybe we should do a weekly retro fashion moment? What do you think?

Carol (She Lives) - I...don't know! Is the model the married woman who does NOT look after her skin, or is she a "single" married who does? If one is truly single, is one not allowed or expected to use Pacquin lotion? So many questions...Thoughts, anyone?

Celestial Charms said...

Although it wasn't the same texture...I swear I had the same pattern as wallpaper on my bedroom walls around 1970!
Maureen

Soul Mates 95 said...

oh my. Yes that bikini bottom is bad...and the whole idea of the ad is bad. I got married young and still very much care how I look! I think sometimes we stress more since we don't want to live up to that sterotype! =/

Melanie said...

I had a windbreaker in 1972 with that very same print on it! I don't know if I liked it, but it was obviously memorable.

The whole single/married thing is just too confusing. I go everywhere alone without my husband, does that make me married/single?

Amy said...

LOL I am digging (not) that 1970's or is it 1960's pair of bikini bottoms. I think my mother use to have a sunhat made from similar fabric.

Catherinette Singleton said...

I believe those bottoms will give me nightmares.

Must go and moisturize myself before going to bed.

Phyl said...

Yegods, that made me shriek. I particularly lost it when Genghis Khan was causing unmoisturized havoc.

Lee Allport said...

I love your blog, just wanted to drop on you! I'll definitley be a regular!

Lee

Lidian said...

Celestial Charms - The pattern just screams 1968 to me, too - I'm sure it was everywhere...

Soul Mates 95 - It can be a lot to live up to, can't it? Even more so, now, with ads.

Melanie - I don't think the ad writers really thought this one out! :)

Amy - That fabric is ringing a bell with a lot of us! :)

Catherinette - So will I!

Phyl - I think maybe Genghis would have been happier if he HAD moisterized. History may need a little rewriting.

Lee - Thank you! :)

rusty said...

I went through a retro phase in high school where I wore bell bottoms, shirts, bathing suits, and headbands in all these fabrics lol, glad its over!!! The nineties was an interesting time where the sixties, seventies, and eighties all sort of came back at the same time as well as a mishmash of other eras.

Lidian said...

rusty - I read somewhere once that fashions cycle in 30 year increments, so we had our 70s revival a few years ago and now are on to the 80s, I guess, and all the terrible shoulder pads...

Keith said...

I was going to say that I liked it. lol Cool ad. I just discovered your blog. It's awesome.

Lidian said...

Keith - Thank you! :)

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

I'm speechless. Well, okay I got one word. Oy.