Monday, January 5, 2009

Get Busy With Listerine

Talk about having a lousy time. Not only are you playing bridge with a rubber-headed orc in a suit, but - you have infectious dandruff! How can this be? Infectious in what way? Is this medically proven?

Oh, don't be silly, of course not. The Listerine people just want you to "get busy with Listerine." No one's going to give them awards for subtlety, that's for sure.

All you have to do is dye your hair back to brown, change into a light-colored blouse, and - now this is the getting-busy part - dab your scalp with Listerine.

Apparently this is a delightful treatment. Perhaps not delightful for your scalp. Or for your nerve endings. Or your hair. But delightful in some ineffable, pleasure-denying-Puritan sort of way.

This advertisement is from the Duke University Ad Access collection, which is not the least bit annoying, but is in fact quite fabulous.

Erica has a great Listerine post at Mental Hygiene, here - go and have a look!

******

And speaking of quite fabulous, Diesel over at Mattress Police has been nominated for a 2008 Weblogs Award in humor, and the voting festivities are all week over yonder. I know that he'd be as pleased as the lady applying Listerine to her hair, if you went over there and voted for him.

Also my friend Daisy the Curly Cat is up for Best Pet Blog, so please go vote for her, too. I visit her site every day and she really is the best!

10 comments:

Bill said...

I got really startled by the infectious dandruff hyperbole. As if we don't have enough to worry about these days. It made me think of Scout paying her classmate to rub scalps together so she could catch ringworm and be expelled from school (To Kill A Mockingbird).

Here's a home remedy that really works for dandruff that a barber's son told a friend about: make a paste of crushed aspirin in warm water, and apply to scalp. She swears it works much better than dandruff shampoo.
Don't know if it fixes headaches that way, though.

Lidian said...

Bill - That "infectious" business was what startled me about this one, and of course the startle factor ranks high. The aspirin thing sounds intriguing, and much more delightful than Listerine - I wonder why the aspirin people didn't do an ad on it (oh, maybe, maybe they did - I will keep an eye out!)

Tori Lennox said...

I'm still trying to figure out how mouthwash is going to help dandruff (infectious or otherwise).

Erica said...

Interesting that they say you can just dab the Listerine on your scalp. I've got an ad that recommends rather more vigorous application -- I'll have to post it some time this week :)

Frogs in my formula said...

I like infectious laughter much better. Infectious dandruff sounds absolutely disgusting. If I'm already brunette am I in the clear?

My grandma swears by Head and Shoulders for curing winter dry skin. I wonder if she has a lot of it handy b/c she's been Listerine-ing her scalp. Busted!

Diesel said...

Thanks for the shout-out! Did you know that Listerine was originally invented by Joseph Lister to disinfect operating rooms? He had no intention of people putting it in their MOUTHS. Nor on their scalps, I would imagine.

ettarose said...

Infectious dandruff huh? Whoa, what will they think of next? I used to be employed at a nursing home. One of the old men there used a case of listerine every two weeks. He had a thing about germs and he wiped every surface down with Listerine.

Lidian said...

Tori - It probably won't, but anything to sell it to as many people as possible...

Erica - I would love to see that! :)

Frogs - I think you are just fine...

Diesel - No prob! I think Joseph Lister would have been horrified at the things they thought up.

ettarose - Scaring people into buying stuff is a dubious tactic, but popular back then...

Erica said...

here you go -- ad from 1930 :)

Lidian said...

Erica - Fabulous! I edited to include a link to this -Thanks so much :)