Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sem-Praying On Your Vanity

The retro scam of the week is this 1931 ad for face cream. It will clean, clear, soften and "youthify" your skin overnight. Well, who doesn't want to be youthified?

The name Sem-Pray implies that you are really going to hope and pray that it works. Actually it is from the Italian "sempre" or "always." That's how long you will have to use it, too.

So let's see what Madame La Nore of the Sem-Pray Salons in Grand Rapids, Michigan, has for you. She has a magical cream, a powder base and some rouge. You had better get it all, just to make sure. Send quick! You should have done it yesterday!

There's a seven-day plan given here for the best results. You usually do have to use the miracle product for a certain strict time period. With Sem-Pray you need seven days, three minutes a day. Three minutes is actually a long time to be scrubbing cream into your face, if you think about it.

Note also the typical "closely guarded secret" and "Eastern cosmetic oils and beautifiers" - whatever that means. But it always sounds good. Eastern, of course, could mean New Jersey. that must be it.

They promise that Sem-Pray will not make you grow hair. Wonder why they felt the need to bring that up? Perhaps it's a hint of what might await you, should you use the seven day samples - and then stop.

16 comments:

Bill said...

I'll bet the Eastern cosmetic oils & beautifiers come from Newfoundland. That's pretty far east. They even have their own time zone thing goin' on.

Now, I could be wrong (and I frequently am), but have you considered that Sem-Pray may be a reference to the spiritual healing powers of Aimee Semple McPherson? Perhaps this product combines spiritualism & science to make skin problems vanish...just like Aimee did in 1926.

Tori Lennox said...

I like Bill's idea about Aimee Semple McPherson!

Personally, I could use some "youthifying" but I'm not sure I want to use Sem-Pray....

Carol @SheLives said...

Hey, they're still selling that stuff. Under different names, of course. Many different names. And, apparently, it works just as well as it did back then only now it has SPF and anti-oxidants and stuff.

Which means it youthifies just as well as it did back then.

Chef Rick said...

Sorry to leave this as a comment (feel free to delete) but I couldn’t find any contact info.

I have a food history blog, hushpuppynation.com, and would like to be on your blogroll. Your site is great!

Thanks!

Monica Ford said...

Hey~! I want some of that! ;) hee hee

Amy said...

hmm where can I get some of that stuff? with the exeption of it not making my hair grow, do they mean facial hair? eeww

kris said...

Oh good! I have just 7 days to use this stuff so I can look beautiful for my big regional meeting where I"m going to meet lots of people who know who I am yet have never seen me before. Thanks for the tip!

Frogs in my formula said...

Ahaha. I was not expecting Madame La Nore of the Sem-Pray Salons to be in Grand Rapids! It sounded so exotic and mysterious and then thud, Grand Rapids.

Speedcat Hollydale said...

Will it grow hair on my scalp???

totalrod2 said...

Great Blog!

Lidian said...

Bill - I never thought of Aimee McP. That's an interesting possibility!

Tori - Youthifying sounds good to me too!

Carol - They will always sell something like this...

ChefRick - I should have email on my profile page, but anyway, will check out your blog -

Monica - LOL! If only it worked!

Amy - Yeah, it was weird that they mentioned that, I thought.

Kris - Yes, and then after that you must buy MORE!

Frogs in my Formula - There are mysteries everywhere, even Grand Rapids.

Speedcat - Perhaps!

totalrod2 - Thank you!

TheSnackHound said...

The person who packages it is probably the same person who decided a table for two should get 3 rolls in their basket.

This product would only have a supply for 5 days in it. Therefore, you would have to buy 2 to get the results. Or, you would use the product, it wouldn't work, and they would claim you didn't use it all seven days. So, you would start ALL over again, neceesitating a purchase of another package. But then you would have learned your lesson and have to buy two.

Thus, each person would have to buy 3 packages to get youthified.

Shay said...

My thoughts exactly, Froggie. Exotic beauty capital? My parents bought their furniture in Grand Rapids, for crying out loud.

Lidian said...

TheSnackHound - You are entirely too mathematically savvy for this company!

Shay - Depends on what your definition of exotic is, I guess.

TheSnackHound said...

Yeah, that is why they went out of business. Everyone got youthified with one purchase. If they would have thought like me, they would still be in business.

Lidian said...

Snack Hound - I think you've got it exactly right! :)