Saturday, January 10, 2009

Some Wild And Crazy Pencils

Pencils and fun - now there's two words you don't find yoked together too often. Try sharpening the ones around here and you will not be calling pencils fun, trust me. Annoying, yes. Splintery. Frustrating. Stupid and cheap.

But these pencils are "Full-Of-Fun." Also "Crazy." And if you count them you'll see that there are already eight pencils in the back. What is the dominant one at the front doing there? Who invited him? This one is the Dean Martin of the pencil pack. The Alpha Pencil.

Those other ones are just the backup group. They look a little beaten-down. Especially the rubber one in the middle. I think that one's going to be quitting the group any minute now. Maybe he could join a little circus with some dollar store erasers.

They all have different shtiks. One has a hammer head, like a shark. The tough guy, I guess. One has a whistle for a head. That's the noisy, obnoxious one. The one with a tiny magnifying glass will be snooping in the drawers in no time. It'll roll under the furniture and check out all the things that fell behind the couch, too. It's up to no good. Watch out for it.

The puzzle-top is the deep and quiet one - the George Harrison of the group, if you will (moving on from the Rat Pack - please!). And the pencil that writes in four colors - that one'll be moving to an ashram later on to try and figure out what his true self really is. He'll have to pretend that the wooden pencil box in the closet is an ashram. Maybe George the puzzle-top will join him in there later.

The one that predicts the weather is a little bit bizarre. What if it starts talking to us like those "weather personalities" on TV? Wouldn't that be fun and crazy. I get enough of that every morning as it is. Weather people are always so happy when there is an ice storm or a heat wave. Because they're in that climate-controlled studio, that's why.

Finally, there's the "unique mystery pencil." The pencil manufacturers don't even want to tell us what that one's all about. What is up with that? Is it the pencil that is pointing up in the picture, whereas the rest of them (except the Alpha one) are pointing down?

Full-of-Fun, Crazy Retro Question: What on earth is a Unique Mystery Pencil?

11 comments:

Lin said...

I think they are scrambling on the Mystery Pencil. When you've got all those, what else could you possibly need?! Maybe just a normal one with an eraser that works and doesn't smudge up your paper?

Chat Blanc said...

haha! now I want a crazy pencil!! ;)

Da Old Man said...

Do you know how desperately I want a set of these pencils now?

Bill said...

I think the Mystery Pencil is also known as the Bernard Madoff Pencil.
How did it come up with that amount??? These figures just don't add up!!!

The rubber pencil stymies me. Does it have flexible lead? I'm confused. Again.

Thanks for another hilarious post!

Lidian said...

Lin - In this group that really WOULD be wild and crazy!

Chat Blanc - I wonder if they write wild and crazy things? That could be fun.

Da Old Man - I can imagine! They do look like fun.. ;)

Bill - That is a very good suggestion indeed. I'll bet Madoff had a few sets of these.

Tori Lennox said...

That hammerhead pencil looks more like a croquet mallet to me. And the weather predicting pencil certainly couldn't do any worse than our local weather people....

PurpleGreenPops.com said...

Never thought I would read a blog post about pencils.

Reminds me of all the ones I see left around the house by our teenage son...

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I actually have (had? I guess it doesn't count if you don't know where they are) some of these. I think the "mystery" pencil was just some misc one they threw in.

Lidian said...

Tori - It really does look like a croquet mallet!

PurpleGreenPops - And strangely enough, I wrote a 2nd pencil post today too!

Sharkbytes - That would make sense, that it was the pencil they just threw in at the end...

Daughter said...

Perhaps the Mystery Pencil is the long lost son of the Alpha pencil, come back to reclaim the throne in Oedipus fashion, freeing his people from the horrific Alpha pencil regime...

Either way, I hate pencils. Bring on the ball point pens!

Lidian said...

Daughter - I'm with you, I really like Bic pens, the really ordinary ones, called "Crystal" pens (at least they are in Canada). Pencils do not thrill me at all. Even mysterious ones! :)