Sunday, February 8, 2009

Neptune's Mustache Is In Luxembourg

Final Net never takes the weekend off, does it?

When you and your sixpack of hairspray go off to wallow in retro luxury at the Holiday Inn, you might get to enjoy the Retro Recipe of the Week (it's one of those recipe weeks, as it happens - I have that 1971 Holiday Inn International Cookbook sitting on the desk, so here we go).

This lady has put on a basecoat of makeup in keen anticipation of dinner in a fine restaurant (or, this week, of cocktails in an atmospheric hotel bar). And she has on the sort of cowl-necked shift dress that I remember grownups wearing around 1966 (part of the Youthquake they were not).

Let's make this a little bit international, and go to the Holiday Inn in Luxembourg City (I'm sure her hair will hold up on the trip). The restaurant in this early 1970s Holiday Inn is called Trois Glands, which is appetizing, isn't it? Don't worry, it is named for the "acorn-shaped roofs of the fortress Th√ľngen." Not for three glands. That's what the book says, anyway. Maybe we'll go eat somewhere else.

But first I think we all need a drink in any case, so here is the Retro Recipe of the week, for Neptune's Mustache - specialty of the bar at the Luxembourg Holiday Inn:

NEPTUNE'S MUSTACHE

Take a champagne glass (flute). Put a cherry on the bottom and fill with crushed ice. Then add two bar spoons of creme de menthe (green) and a short jigger of cognac (or brandy).* Serve with a straw and stirrer for a drink as refreshing as ocean diving.

Luxembourg is completely surrounded by land, however. So watch your head, won't you?

* Won't this be an unattractive shade of greenish-brown, rather like seaweed? But perhaps that is what Neptune's mustache is made of.

Advertisement thanks to Wishbook, via Found In Mom's Basement. Thanks, you guys.

11 comments:

Frogs in my formula said...

Seaweed? Mustache? And she's still smiling?

Methinks she needs to get off the sauce.

Starcasm said...

This is why people shouldn't invent cocktails after they've already had 12 shots of tequila.

RE Ausetkmt said...

Yikes !
That drink sounds like a "Real Scenario". btw, which Luxembourg is this ? KY, TN ?

Tori Lennox said...

I'm sure I'd have something really snarky and funny to comment here but I'm too busy rolling around on the floor laughing...

Tori Lennox said...

I'm sure I'd have something really snarky and funny to comment here but I'm too busy rolling around on the floor laughing...

♥georgie♥ said...

Oh my LOL...I want some of what shes having ;-)

Amy said...

oh dear...I do hope it doesn't get her the mustache...

Lidian said...

Frogs in my Formula - She needs to stick to vodka and tonic!

Starcasm - As above. Vodka will not let one down.

RE - It sure does. It's the teeny country in Europe, least likely place for a Holiday Inn...

Tori - You always make brilliant comments, from wherever you are :)

Georgie - I'd like something, but maybe not what she is having!

Amy - That's true, that would not add to her groovy look.

Bill said...

It sounds like a murky, brackish sort of swill, but the name is irresistible. I love the names they came up with for old cocktails. The new ones are usually blatantly crass.

The lady pictured kinda reminds me of Phyllis Diller, before she had her skin pulled back in a pony tail.

Anonymous said...

neptunes moustache?

i'd rather eat the cookie crumbs out of santa's beard!

Lidian said...

Bill - That is mostly why I love posting the old cocktail recipes - the names.

Anonymous - Santa's Beard probably IS on the bar menu in some 60s Holiday Inn