Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Gray Expectations

"Without justice or kindness, gray hair can rule your life. It can choose your clothes - confine you to a few subdued colors. It can pick your friends - from 'the older set.' It can dictate many things you say or do."

Never mind Mussolini et al. He has nothing on Gray Hair. Gray Hair is telling you to which friends to have ("the older set" - gee, thanks a lot!) - and how to dress: wear gray, maybe beige if you're feeling daring.

Yes, that mean old Gray Hair causes many heartaches. But Clairol is not your only option.You could yank the Gray Hair out. That'll show it who's the boss of your Color Me Beautiful book!

Or perhaps you could color them beautiful with a black magic marker - maybe the lady on the left will lend you hers, now that she's done her eyebrows.

Or you could - oh, I know this sounds crazy! - learn to live with the Gray Hair. Maybe it's just feeling defensive, not really dictatorial. You might be misreading the whole situation. Maybe you'll even end up friends, you two - chatting, going for coffee, maybe doing a little shopping.

Then you will have a new problem. People will think you're chock full o' nuts, talking to your hair.

And that will make you look as crabby and tight-lipped as the lady in the ad. And she's the after picture. I don't really think she likes her hair dyed licorice-jelly-bean black and piled on top of her head. Or perhaps that's a very small bear cub hibernating up there. That would explain her looking just a little - tense.

Clairol ad from 1943 from Duke University's Ad Access.

16 comments:

Heather Cherry said...

Aw! I want a small bear cub to hibernate on MY head! That would be so cute!

Tori Lennox said...

Wondering if that magic marker trick would actually work.... maybe I could use a hot pink one....

Trailboss said...

I finally just left my gray hair alone. It actually doesn't look that bad. I am graying just like my Mom did.

ceemee said...

I hope I never get to meet Gray Hair when the age hits me! I'll take your advice and just learn to live with it, I suppose.

Bill said...

The lady is sporting the new 'cab-forward' design in coiffures.

Tali said...

You know, bears are born about the size of their mama's finger. So that may very well be a full-sized bear cub... bends your mind, don't it?

Lyn said...

I'm looking at the roots now..seems to be the same ultra pale color as my skin..
If I grow old gracefully, I will be invisible..that could be fun..
But for one more day. I'm going to leave the house as a BLOND, without the sleeping ferret!!

Lidian said...

Heather - Cute, but tricky to manage.

Tori - Hot pink and purple go nicely together! That was my favorite color combo in the 60s.

Trailboss - I like my gray hair too...I use a temporary rinse once in awhile, but mostly I am OK with it.

ceemee - It really is not so bad! :)

Bill - And it makes a handy storage space, too.

Tali - It does indeed. I suppose the bear cub would scare off the gray hair though.

Lyn - Yes, we'll just let the ferret chill out over in the corner for awhile...

Margie and Edna said...

Margie: My stars! That looks like Edna's hair and face. She hates gray hair and she fools with it until she gets all crabby.

Some people just don't like to look their age.

Hairball said...

Could this ad possibly lay it on any thicker?? Can you say- propaganda to make women feel bad about the natural aging process so they will spend lots of money in an attempt to persuade others they are still youthful and therefore worth taking up space on the planet?

Mine is starting to come in a lot like this which means I have another option for costume parties besides stapling random seasoning packets to my clothing while carrying around a bottle of vanilla vodka and yelling Whoot!

Diesel said...

It's easy to say "learn to live with it" when your hair isn't forcing you onto a traincar to Auschwitz.

Lidian said...

Margie and Edna - Well, I get that look when I put the temporary color on, too.

Hairball - I like any costume which requires me to carry vanilla vodka around!

Diesel - Yes, indeed.

Relax Max said...

I really liked this post a lot. I found it very interesting.

Relax Max said...

I know you were not able to read the rest of the story which was printed on the back of the ad, but it explains the lady is married to Hot Dan the Mustard Man. And he was off work this week. Just in case anyone was interested in the cause of the anxious expression on the lady's face.

Brian said...

Since my widow's peak has grown more prominent over the years, I've made a habit of raising my eyebrows as if surprised as a way to distract from the vast field of forehead. Luckily, the eyebrows are thick enough to make the illusion work. Finally, I can leave the house.

Lidian said...

Max - Actually Hot Dan has been off work for 59 years; he was chilling out under the basement floor joists (do not ask me what a joist is, at least not this early in the morning). I'd look like that if I was married to Hot Dan, too (perhaps minus the small animal on the head).

Brian - Sounds like you have a good system worked out.