Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Lose-Lose Situation

Terry Bradshaw is apparently a famous football player, which as you can tell by my use of "apparently" came as a big surprise to me. Anything about football comes as a surprise to me, in fact.

There is a Wikipedia article about him over here. And you can see from the recent photograph there that he's gone pretty bald since the New Man Qaylar days (this ad is from 1978).

Well, he may well be "darned demanding" - and aren't we all, really? - but the Qaylar did not work. Terry Bradshaw's Hair...0; Qaylar....also 0. I'd also like to know how the Qaylar "answered all [his] needs." All of them? How can this be? This may be a slight exaggeration, I'm just saying.

And yet it does not look like the New Man Stylist really changed Terry Bradshaw all that much. You'd think that a New Man Stylist would at least provide his client with a New Outfit. Or show him some New Facial Expressions.

I keep wanting to put a 'u' in between the Q and the a. It is really annoying.

Perhaps this is a clue to why the stuff did not work. People who don't know how to keep letters in their name might not be experts in keeping hair on heads.

Afterthought That Is Like an Announcement, Only Less Organized: It has recently (very recently!) come to my attention that it is, in fact, International Women's Day (not just national, international!) and although I managed to pull myself together and write something appropriate on my other blog (although the woman I wrote about was NOT a suffragist, whoops) - I then thought: oh no, I not only did NOT write about women's stuff on Kitchen Retro, I wrote about a guy. Going bald! That is not IWD friendly, is it?

I could write a second post, but I realize that that might be annoying. And that's no good. So....we're going to do IWD here tomorrow. A day late, a dollar short, but I promise it will be something fun. I'll meet you back here tomorrow, OK? See you then!

19 comments:

Mary Moore said...

I remember that guy...when he played football. I think he still had hair then...whether it was his or not, I don't know!

Slapinions said...

Bradshaw's still a big name in football. He's a popular commentator on Fox Sports and awards the Lombardi Trophy after the SuperBowl each year. He's also very bald.

nonamedufus said...

I think he shed more wives than hair.

Lidian said...

Mary - I went through the 70s missing all of this, I didn't even recognize his name!

Slapinions - Thank you for the info - I really, as you can see, had no idea. Except about the bald part.

nonamedufus - Too bad Qaylar couldn't make a product to help with that.

Venom said...

Hmmm, maybe he lost his hair AFTER he STOPPED going to that barber....
Maybe he thought he'd get a better deal at Hair Club for Men or something, and then his hair fell out? Or, my mother's theory, men who wear ballcaps starve their scalps of oxygen and go bald faster than men who don't.

Venom said...

I should add, my mother owns a barber shop - that could be just one of the lies she tells her customers to keep them loyal...

Lidian said...

Venom - Oh, I remember the Hair Club For Men! And come to think of it, I have an ad for a device you put in the dishwasher to wash baseball caps. Ugh. Not that that has anything to do with the Hair Club for Men, but still.

Tori Lennox said...

I was thinking even with hair, Terry Bradshaw still looks pretty much the same then as he does now. Makes you wonder what else that Qaylar (that DOES need a U) stuff was used for....

And since it's International Women's Day, I'm watching a James Bond movie. Nothing better than explosions, lots of shooting and fast cars.

Da Old Man said...

Terry Bradshaw is a popular sports commentator and has been in some movies, Failure to Launch being one recent movie that comes to mind.
Has quite a few Super Bowl rings, too.
:)

Melanie said...

Actually this ad gives all us women a good giggle, so you did do something for IWD.

The new man stylist couldn't give ol' Terry any new facial expressions because our football man only knows the one look.

Relax Max said...

God, Lidian. Don't know Terry Bradshaw???

I'll give you a free advert for a week if you can tell me what famous figure skater he was married to for about 12 minutes. Hint: she did a fantastic illusion series. 2nd hint: she took all the money he had made in the Superbowls.

Without googling. On your honor.

Right. :)

Relax Max said...

Last clue: think coffee.

Bill said...

I'm no Terry Bradshaw expert, but (based on Max's last clue) I think the avaricious wife's name was Sanka.

Also, an ad about baldness is fine for IWD. Women go bald, too. It's just not discussed.

Lidian said...

Tori - I grew up on weekends of James Bond movies (and Hawaii 5-0, and the Rockford Files) so I think watching JB is perfectly festive.

Da Old Man - Thank you, I feel slightly less clueless. Always a good thing!

Max - Oh, Max, I would have to go Google, you know. Or Wiki. And there's no way, even with all the clues (caffeinated or otherwise) that I am going to get this one. I spent the late 70s reading gloomy Russian novels and moping around my room, alas.

Bill - That is a good guess in my books! Sanka Bradshaw.
Sanka you very much.

Relax Max said...

I would give you a free ad any day anyway. And let all 3 of my followers see it. :)

JoJo Starbuck.

Relax Max said...

But JoJo was a nickname. Her real first name was Maxwell House.

Lidian said...

Max - Now I know that you have more than 3 followers, even though the widget isn't there anymore (I like the Twitter montage though - surely you can get all those people to follow you). ("Know" should be italicized but I can't do that here.)

I love the name JoJo Starbuck - it sounds so phony, which means it probably isn't. It would be fun to order a Venti Mocha JoJo sometime, possibly (even though I find all that barista lingo kind of annoying, usually).

And is Maxwell House any relation to you? :)

Hairball said...

So this Qaylar stuff "answered all [his] needs."

I need my taxes done can Qaylar do them for me?

Lidian said...

Hairball - Well, I guess it never hurts to ask. If you get an answer, let me know!