Monday, March 9, 2009

Two Rebels

The 1915 Rebel Girl on the left is fighting for Women's Suffrage, which was going to take another 3 years.


By 1933 she has been transformed into a shadowy Lovely Rebel. She may have the vote, and that's all right - but she's getting older, and that will never never do! So she will be using her fighting energy to make the signs of aging disappear.

Off to Dorothy Gray for some massive beauty treatments, and - no doubt - massive transfers of cash to Dorothy Gray.

I know which kind of rebel I want to be.

Happy International Women's Day - it may be a day late, but the message is good any day of the year.

The 1912 "Rebel Girl" sheet music cover is from the NYPL Digital Gallery. The Dorothy Gray ad is from Duke University's Ad Access (you can see a bigger version over there).

8 comments:

Bill said...

Funny how her hair is visible, but her face is not. I reckon those are true "highlights."

I'm sorry, but your day was yesterday, and you missed it. Women only get one day per year (unless they are mothers, grandmothers, or administrative assistants).
So, it's back to the scullery for you, and don't be caught poring over Dorothy Gray advertisments.

Lidian said...

Bill - Yeah, she's like one of the people they interview on 60 Minutes with their voices altered. Wonder what she had done over at Dorothy's.

I just popped out of the scullery to write this! :) Better get back now, those dishes will not wash themselves. And unlike the Pearline gal I do not have a dog to lick them clean for me (our cats are too lazy and too picky)

Amy said...

The rebel girl? I wonder if that's what they called the suffragettes back then...rebels?

HumorSmith said...

I will never be too old to rebel. I used to say revolt, but my friends tell me I am already plenty revolting.

Heather Cherry said...

You wouldn't believe how many people responded with haughty indignance when I sent out a fake email calling for everyone to sign a petition with the aim, "Vote to End Women's Suffrage!"

I mean, just wow.

Ran across your blog and noticed you have a similar affinity for bizarre vintage advertising. Cheers!

Frogs in my formula said...

Happy International Women's Day to you too!

Lidian said...

Amy - I was wondering that too...

HumorSmith - It is better to be rebellious than to be revolting, that is so true! :)

Heather - I am definitely going to go check out your blog!

Frogs in my Formula - Thanks, and ditto! :)

Mary O'Grady said...

If you check out the lyrics, you will find that "The Rebel Girl" was an organizer for the Industrial Workers of the World, a.k.a. the Wobblies. (The rumor was that this song was written by Joe Hill in honor of Elizabeth Gurley Flynn, who began her long organizing career addressing union rallies at the age of sixteen and was imprisoned in old age for her membership in the Communist Party USA.) This was not a song for women's suffrage, it was a song for the women who fought for the Wobblies' vision of "One Big Union" and syndicalism as a governmental system.