Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Undentist

"Gee, Jimmy, you'll like the new dentist! He's swell! He even has a little TV in front of the big chair!"

Young Jimmy didn't know what he was in for, the day he went in for his annual checkup...

Gosh, TV at the dentist's! What fun that would be...And at first, it was. At first, it was just innocent little kiddie shows. Cartoon animals bopping each another on the head with large mallets. Crudely drawn cowboys at high noon, in bad moods. That sort of thing.

Little Jimmy - like the other kiddies before him - almost forgot that The Dentist was doing complicated things in his mouth. With a strange drill no one had ever seen before. It had what looked like little planets revolving at one end. The Dentist said he'd invented it. He was new in town. Came highly recommended, too.

But later, when people started asking around in the town he came from - they said they never heard of him.

Boy, it was just like going to a matinee at the theatre. Except there was no candy or popcorn, duh! And in the movie theater, you didn't have a strange man in a white coat jabbing at your molars with a sharp implement. Well, not as a rule.

And then Nurse Grimm (with that fixed, unnerving smile) put the other movies in the small electric projector. And soon Jimmy couldn't take his eyes off the little screen.

That's the way it always went. Soon, you forgot where you were. And then you forgot your name and address...Next stop, the Twilight Zone.

Thank you to Jamie for this little slice of transcendental, real life film noir.

12 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

And I'm not the slightest bit surprised this was in CHICAGO!!!

Heather Cherry said...

Aw, man. I had to get 3 fillings last Monday and my dentist certainly didn't show ME cute cow cartoons. No fair...

Lidian said...

Tori - I almost wrote you a little note about that! I totally thought of you while I was writing this, I knew you'd be relieved to see Chicago still reigns supreme!

Heather - I know. i just went to the dentist and they had the 24 hour local news on. So, so boring!

Judy said...

Our current dentist has a DVD player in his office and quite a selection of movies, but when the receptionist calls to remind you of your appointment, she always tells you that you can bring a favorite movie if you'd like. (I don't think they allow X-rated movies...not that I have any, of course...the idea!)

Phyl said...

The nurse in that photo looks positively sinister, doesn't she?

She looks like one of those TV aliens who are in disguise as a human, but didn't quite get it right and doesn't quite look really human.

Bill said...

I'm not absolutely certain that the picture shows Clark Gable wielding the drill, but I'm pretty sure that's Ferdinand the Bull on the television.
Or, maybe...since it's Chicacgo again, it's Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

JD at I Do Things said...

Is that even an actual movie? It looks like a cheap drawing. "Moving pictures that flash in front of them." Hmmm. Well, it's no Nickelodeon, that's for sure.

Lidian said...

Judy - Ours used to have movies in the waiting room for the kids, but it seems to have disappeared...and the TVs in the back all play the news! Guess they prefer the news :)

Phyl - She really does look scary!

Bill - Oh, I remember Ferdinand! But was he also on TV? I sort of remember books, and I am not sure that there was much plot (mind you what's on this TV does not look terribly plot-driven)

JD - I think you're right, that's just a still picture. What a racket!

Hairball said...

Last time I was at the dentist, they had the TV turned to CBS and the soaps were on. Just when I got into the storyline, the hygienist did my chair back flat so that I had a fabulous view of the ceiling. Whoot!

Lidian said...

Hairball - Plus also they keep talking to you during the shows, don't they? Like I can even answer with my mouth full of stuff..."Hmmpf, hhhuhhh" is my usualy clever response.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.