Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Cooking Party

A cooking party
Is one big oxymoron.
A party's a thing

Where you get dressed up
And go out somewhere fancy,
Snacks already made.

If I really want
A so-called cooking party
I know what to do -

Go in the kitchen
At that hour in the evening
When the city lights

Begin to glitter
Like tin foil on leftovers,
And talk to the stove.

It's in the corner
Looking a little bit bored,
Not good at mingling.

I say: how you doin'?
Got anything going on?
What's up with dinner?

But it is silent.
The fridge is chattier though,
Buzzing something like:

You come here often?
Yes, I answer, every day.
Party at my house!

But when I combine
The words cooking and party
That equals takeout.

8 comments:

RE Ausetkmt said...

that happy stove reminds me of the story of the Strippers on the Portable Poles being pulled by choppers.

uh huh.

Cookie Brochette said...

I wonder what the souvenirs were? Maybe take-out Chinese?

P.S., The toaster wants you to know that something has..."popped up" if you know what he means.

redkathy said...

Betty Bright... Yeah

Cher said...

Just found you via EntreCard. Great Site! Thanks for the laughs!

Hairball said...

Whoot! Par-tay at Lidian's house!! I'll bring over my toaster oven so it mingle with your appliances.

What do you want me to bring in the way of food?? *grins*

Lidian said...

RE - LOL!

Cookie - That's a mighty saucy little toaster!

redkathy - Maybe Betty will make dinner.

Cher - Thanks for coming by, I will visit you too :)

Hairball - It's going to be drinks, chips and then we order in from various places. Lots of fun, see you soon! :)

Bill said...

Who wouldn't think PARTY when they look at that stove?

It's at least one step up from an Easy Bake Oven. I had a stove just like that in an old apartment when I was in my mid-twenties. It was a gas range, and I was afraid I would blow myself to smithereens every time I lit the oven.

Lidian said...

Bill - We had a gas stove in a basement apartment in the early 90s that was very temperamental. It was not much of a party trying to get it going, as you say. And we had one when I was a kid (also no fun, though I liked the blue flame to look at - I had to stand way back though, so I was pretty well in the living room, which made it hard to learn how to cook).