Friday, April 3, 2009

Quantum of Solis

Well, that certainly looks painful. The comb thingie is stuck right in and it's going to be nigh on impossible to get it out. And it does not look anything "like magic on the hair" to me.

As usual with these ads, key words are capitalized. Because, naturally, we are all too dumb to get the point without being hit over the head with it. Moe, Larry and Curly were pretending to be copywriters the day the Solis guys came around. It's like magic, honest - nyuk nyuk nyuk!

Curly was especially impressed with this comb. And Moe's probably the guy holding it in the ad - he's a real professional.

And will it really, truly SAVE time and ENHANCE my hair? Why, soitinly, lady!**

So send coupon now! Now! East or West, we don't care...and please note the Western Solis capital is Chicago. That is one happening town, Chicago.

Solis Comb ad from Hairfinder.

** The Three Stooges were hairdressers in the 1940 short, Cookoo Cavaliers. Really terrible, awful hairdressers (not surprisingly).

12 comments:

Hairball said...

That picture makes me think of when I was a kid and got a brush stuck in my long hair. Ow! You folks can keep your "magic" and I'll just hang onto my "unbecoming lines".

Lidian, do you know the exact year for this ad? It predates the implementation of zipcodes, so $29.95 was a pretty good amount to pay for this little torture device!

Tori Lennox said...

Good ol' Chicago!

I'm with Hairball. That thing looks like it's stuck in Model Chickie's hair. They'll have to CUT it loose. Come to think of it, they probably used it on Curly and that's why he's now bald....

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Hey! That just happened to my daughter not too long ago. I even have the pictures to prove it.

Carol @SheLives said...

Hey, I think my mom had one of those when I was a kid. Could be why she's seriously bald now?!?!?

Sandi said...

ouch! That does look painful =/

Lidian said...

Hairball - That happened to me, too - my hair was so long I could sit on it, up until my teens...I wish I knew the exact year, the Hairfinder site just says it is from the 60s.

Tori - Yes, Curly must have had a run-in with this. That might explain his behaviour somewhat.

Mary - It can still happen to me sometimes, if I'm half-asleep in the morning!

Carol - It does look like it was quite hard on one's hair.

Sandi - It does! And the model is nt exactly trying to look happy.

Staci said...

For once, I'm actually glad that I have naturally curly hair because that looks rather painful. Even if you don't hurt yourself with the contraption, your arms will be sore from all the contortions.

Chronic Chick Talk said...

I always like the old ads. They show so much personality. Now a days I think the ad companies think we've all gone deaf. You can't hear the show, but they make sure you hear the commercials.

Lidian said...

Chronic Chick Talk - That's true, I hate how they turn the sound way up for the commercials, like they weren't dumb enough already.

Dr. Julie-Ann said...

Carol, I think my mother tried using one these things on me, too!

Stylists are always getting their round brushes caught in my hair when they are trying to dry it and get it to curl (you know, the tug, roll, dry routine). My hair is baby fine straight and they think if they roll it a little more, then it will take a curl.

If it didn't hurt so much, I'd laugh out loud in a dry cackling laugh.

Shay said...

She looks as though she has her hair caught in an electric beater.

Lidian said...

Dr Julie-Ann - My mother used a combo brush/hair dryer on me, and i guess it worked pretty well, but it took hours, since my hair is thick and then it was waist-length. Not fun.

Shay - If that's Moe holding the hair thing, it probably IS an egg beater.