Saturday, May 2, 2009

Diving For Dollars

When you need a break from the fun of listening to a recorded horse race and pretending you are at the track, you might like to try this. Because this is one of the greatest opportunities of our time. Really, it is. You can make big money. A fortune, probably! And you can make it fast, too - in fact, you'd already be rich if only you'd sent in the coupon over there.

You will become a professional diver. Yes, you - even if you live and work in the desert! Even if you don't have one of the Great Lakes or an ocean handy. Because - and this really is the best part: you can train at home, in your spare time!

I can't tell you how much I wish I could send for this FREE booklet. Not because I want to be a diver. I just want E.R. Cross, World Famous Master Diver, to explain how someone can train themselves to be a deep-sea diver - in their spare time, inside the house.

Advertisement from Popular Science magazine, September 1960. Lame punning title from the old game show Dialing For Dollars.

16 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

I'd love to know you'd train for deep sea diving in the privacy of your own home. Okay, maybe if you're the Tidy Bowl Man, you could train in the toilet or even the bathtub, but a normal sized person? Not so much.

And I see this is another fine scam from our Friends in Chicago. *g*

The Exaggerator said...

As for the women who responded, did they get a special offer involving training to be a Weeki Wachee Springs mermaid wannabe?

Me-Me King said...

I can see me now, all suited up and diving in the desert. What an opportunity!

Berryvox said...

Hmmm, I've got a 4-inch deep kiddie pool in the garage. Think that'll do?

derek bowles said...

this is a fantastic opportunity. I can't believe I haven't tried this sooner

Lidian said...

Tori - I am amazed at how many of these things are from Chicago!

The Exaggerator - That would be such a great extra, wouldn't it?

Me-Me - Opportunity knocks! And then it dives right in to - maybe the bathtub?

Berryvox - Hey, why not?

derek - I know, this really is such a great idea, isn't it? lol

Anonymous said...

I would like to have a look at this list of the thousands of corporations and industries that depend so heavily on their handsomely well-paid divers to make their enterprises successful.

David said...

oops - some awkwark keystroke error made me appear anonymous.

Tori Lennox said...

I wonder how many of these things are actually from the same people...

Lidian said...

David - I was thinking that too, I want a list!

Hairball said...

After we've learned how to dive, let's jump off the roof so we can learn hang-gliding too!

Lidian said...

Hairball - Another amazing career move! Yay!

Bill said...

You know, my dad was a Navy UDT/SEAL. Now I see how he got his start.

Lidian said...

Bill - It's truly amazing what we can learn from these ads!

thephantombloggerstrikes said...

Whenever I see an ad like this I think "what would have happened if I had seen this ad earlier and had a chance to train at home". Then I wonder why I would even think that?


#10

Lidian said...

thephantombloggerstrikes - Yes, the road not taken and all that. Or rather, the body of water not dived into.