Sunday, May 10, 2009

Hope Springs Eternol

Hey, Happy Mother's Day!

Here, in honor of the occasion, is a charming anecdotal moment from a 1942 ad. Clearly this woman is thrilled about her teenage son thinking she is the youngest-looking mother in town. Well, she is a plastic head, that explains some of it. But it's not her face we're supposed to admire, but her hair. The hair is what makes all the difference.

That's because she knows she owes it all to Eternol, the Tint Oil Shampoo. You got your hair dye, your oil, and your shampoo all in one bottle. Oh, and you also need a "beauty operator" to put it on your head. Don't try this at home, kids.

I like the caution at the bottom: "Use only as directed on label." They must think women are going to get terribly confused and make salad dressing with it or something.

Advertisement from Ad Access.

12 comments:

Joy said...

This blog cracks me up! Are you aware of James Lileks (lileks.com)? That's what your writing reminds me of. So funny, great work, I dunno how you can do it every day like you do. :) Cheers.

Kris said...

Heck if you can't make salad dressing out of it what good is it?

Beauty operator! What a funny, old term.

Tori Lennox said...

If your beauty operator is the only who's supposed to use it on you, I'd think she'd already know to use as it says on the label. But maybe that's just me....

philly5113 said...

This is the age old scenario. do we look good enough and what is out there that will certainly make us look good.
Is it us or is it them that think we weed to do more?
This stuff is old as the rock. Nice graphic tho.
Thanks for the reminder

Lori said...

We totally dig this blog!

Check out ours when you get a sec!


http://snarknbeans.blogspot.com/

-Lo and Li

Kirsten said...

I didn't know it was my hair! I've been worrying about my skin looking old. Dammit!!

Amy said...

man that shampoo's been doing something to her personality, she also looks like the meanest mother in town...

Lidian said...

Joy - I love Lileks! I want to be like him: the books, the newspaper column, the amazing website...in my dreams, anyway. Thank you - that is a huge compliment to be compared to him.

Kris - I know, the term 'beauty operator' is so archaic and scary!

Tori- Well, I hope she does anyway. The word 'operator' sounds like she might be using heavy equipment, doesn't it?

philly - The graphic art in some of these old ads is just wonderful, I think they make the best blog visuals.

Lori - I sure will, I love your blog title already! :)

Kirsten - Wait till you see the ad about face lines vs figure lines - we have all been worrying about ALL the wrong things, and doing the wrong things too. Of course.

Amy - She sure does look scary.

Hairball said...

I haven't heard the term "beauty operator" in years! My late grandmother always used that term so it makes me think of her. Oh, and naked Barbie dolls!

Forgive me, I'm rambling today.

Lidian said...

Hairball - I ramble quite a lot, every day really! So I don't mind a bit :)

Phyl said...

You know, Lidian, if the 'operator' was using heavy equipment, that might explain why the mother is now just a head.

Lidian said...

Phyl - Of course! LOL