Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Wind Machine

This car is entirely powered by a "motorized fan in a box," according to the article linked below. That's it - no gears, no engine, nothing else but a fan.

The guy on the right seems to have forgotten to remove the building plans from where they got stuck to the side of the car. And there's no seat belt. And it sort of looks like a big plastic soap dish.

The perfect travel snack would of course be an Aero Bar, only they are not easy to find in the US. They are British I think, and you can get them in Canada because we like British chocolate a lot.

Here's a link to an article about the Aeromobile from Popular Science, August 1961. This ad is from the same magazine in August 1960.

Has anyone ever heard of someone building and using one of these? Have any of you gone for a ride in an Aeromobile? Please tell us!

11 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

I can't understand why this didn't catch on. Maybe we should try it nowadays to beat the high cost of gasoline. Or maybe we could just mount a sailboat on a set of wheel and have sailcars....

Kris said...

My son has a toy aeromobile. It does work. I certainly wouldn't drive one of those myself though.

Lidian said...

Tori - I was thinking that maybe someone should revive this idea...

Kris - It looks worrying in the picture. I don't even think the guy is really steering it!

Amy said...

sorry never heard of an aeromobile but we do have aerobars here, I don't actually like them tho

Phyl said...

Aero bars. NOM. So many advantages to living in Canada! Coffee Crisp. Nanaimo Bars...Butter Tarts...

Oh right, where was I?

That really does look like one of those hovercraft they use to skim across the surface of swamps, doesn't it?

Shay said...

think of how far you could get after a greasy bean burrito....

Lidian said...

Amy - I can take or leave an Aero Bar, but the mini ones at Halloween are not bad.

Phyl - And also Maple Buds, though sadly they no longer make them. They really need to bring back Maple Buds!

Shay - Oh, well, yes, you would do.

Phyl said...

They no longer make Maple Buds?? How did I miss this? Where have I been??

Lidian said...

Phyl - I know, it is really sad. I haven't been able to find them here in Ontario for years. And they were the first Canadian delicacy I had when I first came here 25 years ago! So wonderful. If they are still made I don't know about it. Maybe a retro-candy place makes them?

Unlikely Oilfield Wife said...

Oh my God, I forgot how much your blog cracks me up , not in the lol way but in the actually laughing out loud way! A soap dish lol!

Lidian said...

Unlikely Oilfield Wife - Thank you! :)