Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Your Holiday Dreams Not Necessarily Included

Today I have got more fabulous retro trailers for you. Which one do you like best?

I think I would go for the Silver Lark since I am not good at assembling things. Also the Silver Lark promises to make my holiday dreams come true!

Wow, so that means no cooking, no dishes and no handwashing socks in a little sink, right? And no bugs. And me reclining in an Adirondack chair reading mystery novels while everyone else does the barbecuing (and sock-washing). Oh, and also a magically self-refilling glass of iced tea which changes over to something more festive (sangria, perhaps) at sunset. I assume that the glass comes with the trailer.

A Silver Lark it is, then.

The other issue for me with the Chris-Craft is having to put the thing together, which smacks too much of Christmas morning and large toys with thousands of parts. Also of post-IKEA headaches. How do you put together all those things that have names like Pozzling and Flippen Madd, armed only with funny little line drawings and several thousand tiny bolts?

Oh, they say it is EASY to put the Chris-Craft together. But the fact that they capitalize EASY makes me think they are overcompensating a little there. Plus they say I will be hunting and fishing IN the trailer. That sounds like hard work right there. And I doubt very much that there is room for a dinette, kitchenette and a double bed. That doesn't leave much room for hunting or fishing. So, thanks - but no thanks.

Not unless Chris could come over and put up the trailer. It is his Craft, after all.

The Silver Lark ad is from Holiday, July 1947.
And the Chris-Craft ad (Life, 1954) is from the Gallery of Graphic Design - not sure under whose aegis this is, but I hope they don't mind.

10 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

I wonder if the Chris-Craft trailer floats since they also make boats...?

But I'm like you. I'd rather have the Silver Lark. It looks cuter, too.

Lidian said...

Tori - I didn't know they made boats but now that you mention it a dim bell is ringing deep in my brain. it's pretty faint though. As per usual...

Also the Silver Lark has such a poetic name! Even though it's really an Aluminum Lark.

Hairball said...

*raises hand*
How do we entice whatever we are hunting into the trailer, and shoot it without blasting a hole in the side of the trailer?

Mr. New Dilemma said...

I only wish I could get one of those at their original asking price!


*I came here from the slogbite game. Nice blog!

Judy said...

Ahhh...camping! I had a camper (larger and more modern than those shown)up until about 4 years ago. It was my week-end getaway. I loved the peace and quiet. Hubby came down to check it out...he said "full size refrig., full size stove, full size tub, regular toilet, large bed, furnace and AC...this is NOT camping!" I replied, "HEY! you want to sleep in a tent, on the ground, and cook your food on a stick over a fire you had to build, knock yourself out!...You camp your way, I'll camp mine"! Hehehe

P.L. Frederick said...

Did Land Cruiser later change its name to Land Rover? They look similar.

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

Lidian said...

Hairball - I have no idea, maybe it says in the instructions.

Mr. New Dilemma - It would be so great to get on the time machine, go shopping and then come back here, wouldn't it?

Judy - I like camping when it involves staying in a motel! lol

P.L. - I don't know, that's a good question!

Starcasm said...

I NEED one of these. Looks like a great place to set up Starcasm Headquarters. Especially if someone else is washing the socks.

Lidian said...

Starcasm - It would make a great headquarters!

Farmgirl Gourmet said...

Howdy! I actually own this 1947 Silver Lark. It definitely makes my holiday dreams come true! :) And I only paid $1000 for it! ha! I just recently purchased this ad off of eBay to hang in my trailer. Very cool! Here's my old girl http://1947SilverLark.blogspot.com. Thanks for sharing the trailer love and here's to magically refilling iced tea glasses! :)