Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Zitty On The Inside

...And also on the outside, of course. At least you don't have to give up sweets! That's a relief, sister, isn't it?

But (and there's always one of those, is there not?)... But - in order to keep chomping down on chocolate creams and ice cream sodas with the gang down at the Chocklit Shop, you do have to endure a few things:

1. You have to hold a bizarre, lifelike mask of your pimply, unhappy face near your head at all times.

2. You have to take Acnotabs, which although they are supposed to be safe - who knows? The name evokes images of astronauts and acrobats. First they make your pimples ricochet off your skin and then your head takes off for Jupiter.

3. And finally: you are left with the incredibly disturbing idea that you have pimples on the inside of your body. They're in there, you just can't see them. And you never know when they will start emerging!

Good to know you have Acnotabs on your side. I think.

Many thanks to Uh...Bob at Flickr for the advertisement, from Teen magazine, October 1951.

18 comments:

Bill said...

I'd rather have ziti on the inside, but we don't always get to choose, do we?

Shawn said...

I think I've heard that you can get chicken pox on the inside. That's disturbing enough.

Lidian said...

Bill - That would be much, much better, I agree.

Shawn - That IS disturbing. Yes, I think I heard that too, and repressed that fact until now.

Kris said...

That whole thing is a little freaky. The mask would give me nightmares by itself, but then it'd have to ad nightmares of pimples growing in your veins. Ick!!!
I bet these would be recalled by the FDA if they were on the market today. lol

Tori Lennox said...

Oh goody! Something new to worry about....

ModernMommy said...

I never did have pimples as a teenager. Maybe that's why they just never came to the surface. Gross. I think I need some Acnotabs now.

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

I wonder if you take a double dose of those, would they help hemorrhoids???

Hairball said...

*raises hand* Can I just wash my face with ENO's fruit salt and call it a day?

Lidian said...

Kris - They certainly would be recalled! And the mask probably put a lot of people off, anyway.

Tori - It's always something.

ModernMommy - You were lucky! I got them then and occasionally still do at age 46. No Acnotabs for me though! :)

Mary - Wow, I'll bet the Acnotab people wish they'd thought of that!

Hairball - Yes, you certainly may :)

Amy said...

eewww if they pop inside her i'd hate to see the mess...

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Wow, this ad must have done great things for female morale circa 1951. Judging by the size of the pills, you probably wouldn't give a damn what your face looked like after a horse tranquilizer like that.

Dr. Julie-Ann said...

Notice the bangs that are cut in such a way to hide the pimples that the mask doesn't magically lift off of her face.

What else is she hiding?

P.L. Frederick said...

This is the scariest hockey mask ever.

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

Kirsten said...

Of course Acnotabs are not available now! You keep showing me these products that I need to have, only to find out I can't get them! They had it so much better back then! :)
I love visiting your blog. It always makes me smile!

Daisy said...

As long as they stay on the inside, I do not mind pimples.

Lidian said...

Amy - That does not sound good!

DG - Yes, they liked making you feel terrible. Still do, some of them.

Dr. Julie-Ann - That's a good point. And I wonder how many other masks she has?

PL - It might scare the other team into playing badly, though.

Kirsten - Thanks :) I wish I'd known about these in the mid-70s, when I needed them!

Daisy - That is a good philosophy.

Phyl said...

Hm. The first thing I thought of when I saw the name "Acnotabs" was "another product from Acme."

I think I adhere to Daisy's philosophy as well.

Lidian said...

Phyl - They do sound like Acme would have made them.