Saturday, June 6, 2009

Happy-Go-Lucky Strikes

Luckies are less acid than what? Lemon juice? Vinegar? Dorothy Parker?

So many questions...

Here's another one: What in the world was someone doing to the old magazines I rescued yesterday?

They were all quite a bit the worse for wear, having been stuck in a box in a secondhand store. I think someone tried to wipe their kitchen counter with one of them back in 1954. And as for the 1930s Argosy magazines (this ad is from one of them) - bits have come off the bottom. Well, as you can see.

And they are yellow and have no covers. Magazines only a person who adores old ads - and has a scanner! - could love! I am sure that the bookstore lady thought I was mighty strange to want them.

So that's why this Lucky Strikes ad has a rip at the bottom. And so does the Monday ad - but that is a gem. It is so funny I can hardly wait to show it to you. But we could all use a good laugh on Mondays. So I'll save it.

I don't know why this lady is playing with tobacco. She may work in the Luckies factory since she is wearing some sort of uniform. But she seems too happy to be making her stash into boring little cigarettes.

There seems to be a strand of tobacco on her lower lip, so maybe she's snacking on it. It is less acid, you know. But still. What do you think she's planning on doing with the tobacco? Making a wig? Stuffing a sofa cushion? Is she going to spin it into gold for Rumpelstiltskin? Whatever it is, it is giving her a lovestruck smile.

15 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

It really wouldn't take all that much to be less acid than Dorothy Parker.

And what IS she doing with that tobacco????

David said...

Looks to me like she's imagining orgasmic pleasures to be had with the strands of tobacco.

Me-Me King said...

Very interesting and very cool all at the same time, this ad IS a gem. I, too, wonder why there's a strand of tobacco on her lower lip.

Amy said...

I would've grabbed those magazines too, I don't care if there's no cover or one of the ads is ripped - great finds!

Lidian said...

Tori - I still can't quite figure out what she's doing.

David - That's possible :)

Me-Me - Either it's a mysterious strand of tobacco, or it's a ding on the magazine. I am hoping it is the former. Maybe she's chewing it?

Amy - I may go back and horrify the lady some more by rifling through that box! :)

Bill said...

My word, someone needs to teach this young woman the proper way to dip snuff.

Lola said...

If only less acid were the least of tobacco's issues.

Auntie E said...

looks like a match in your lip to me. she must be dreaming about enjoying that smoke. I do not think women smoked that much back then.

MamaFlo said...

My father smoked unfiltered Lucky Strikes for 50 years but his packs were red and white.
I remember how prevalent cigarette ads were and it wasn't all that long ago.

ladyhawkcj said...

I haven't thought about this in a long time but my dad used to smoke these before he quit. The packs were red and white though.

cheech's chong said...

she's a little toohappy with her stash. i think it's weed!

Lidian said...

Bill - Yes indeed. I actually tried snuff once and it was terrible.

Lola - Yes, that's the least of it.

Auntie E - I think they did a bit by then, and more so by the 40s.

MamaFlo - This must have been before the pack with the red target thing on it - my mother's brand in the 40s.

ladyhawkcj - I thought of my mother, seeing this ad, too.

cheech's chong - She really IS strangely happy, isn't she? :)

Hairball said...

That tobacco resembles brown seaweed!

Lidian said...

hairball - It really does look like seaweed!

Marcheline said...

"It's the tobacco that counts!"

But how high can it count? Huh? How high? 'Cuz I'm not spending my hard-earned dough on tobacco that can only count up to, let's say, ten. No sirree, my tobacco has to be able to count to at least a hundred.