Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Without Bite Or Sludge

This item may well be revolutionary, cool and sweet. And it doesn't bite you. That's a relief. And also - no sludge (ugh).

But if it requires a syringe and a scraper - well, no thanks! Ewww.

And why are black/white, blue/white, pink/white and green/red "most noble colors"? Really, why? Are you supposed to look like a Byzantine Emperor or Sir Lancelot with this thing in your mouth? Old King Cole, maybe. But he is kind of silly.

As for cleaning and rest, we all need some of both of those things (and not necessarily in that order, either). I don't care how cool your little pipe is. Or how Scientific your Associates may be.

Ad from Esquire, July 1966. And that lovely picture of Old King Cole is from Wikipedia.

11 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

Another fine product from our friends in Chicago!

And while pink IS my favorite color, I don't think of nobility when I see it.

Dee said...

My late uncle, the former marine, smoked a pipe. Somehow I can't imagine him smoking a pink and white pipe.

Me-Me King said...

I don't think this invention made it, I've never seen anything like it!

Daisy said...

hi there! Just droppin by to thank you for the ec ad. I accepted it now and should be running in a few days!

XoXoX

beth said...

I think those so-called Scientific Associates were a bunch of college beatniks - their "new" invention sounds like a bong. And their ad copy sounds like they were taking hits from it.

Mr. New Dilemma said...

I was going to say opium bong.

Bill said...

I guess you have to pay extra for fiddlers three.

grouse.and.badger said...

LOL! A syringe and a scraper...nothing good ever came from items requiring both those items :)

Lidian said...

Tori - Oh, I should ta it with the Chicago tag! What a great town, huh?

Me-Me - I never did either, and my dad smoked a pipe in the 60s so I did see a lot of pipe stuff. Never this, though.

Daisy - Thanks for visiting! :)

beth - They do sound like that! It totally sounds like an inside joke.

Mr. New Dilemma - I suppose it could be used for that...

Bill - Well yes. Thy have a tough union.

grouse and badger - Indeed not :)

Shay said...

If you're going to smoke a water pipe, why not go all the way and buy a hookah?

Lidian said...

Shay - Because it does not come in noble colors?