Sunday, July 12, 2009

Eat Here And Get Gas

Walk in the house on the right. You'll know what they had for dinner - yesterday. In this house, you get yesterday's air warmed over.

Great dinner the folks on the right had last night: a large smoking pipe, a raw Spanish onion cut in half, and a pot that appears to be on fire.

No wonder the yellow lady looks so besieged by indigestion.

The lefthand lady, on the other hand, is thinking about the ersatz-Peter-Max butterflies and flowers that she had for dinner last night. She seems to be wondering if this really was a good idea or not.

I can definitely say that the pale blue rompers are also not a good idea. Nor is the lucky skunk tail that appears to be depending from her braid. And I ask, How come?

Gas may indeed make a big difference, but I suspect there's something more to it, too.

There always is.

******
Thanks to my pals at the University of Virginia for this gem from 1968. Now, they don't know that they are my pals, but they posted these ads and seem not to mind me using them, so they are pals indeed!

And a general thanks to all my other pals who have sent me ads or said it is OK to use them. You are all exceedingly groovy and cool - and if I haven't partaken yet, I will.

14 comments:

Hairball said...

Great dinner the folks on the right had last night: a large smoking pipe, a raw Spanish onion cut in half, and a pot that appears to be on fire.

Well, she's feeling a bit desperate to lose some weight. She tried this Protam stuff and that didn't work, so she's onto the "smoke a pipe while eating a Spanish onion and burning various foods to a crisp" diet.

As for Mrs. Blue Romper, she looks like that because she just remembered that her Big Wheel is illegally parked.

Mikes Sumondong said...

i'm happy to be here. thanks for your site. a first time visitor here.

Tori Lennox said...

What is UP with that skunk tail Romper Room Chick's hair?!

Eric said...

It is mathematically impossible for skunk parts to improve the smell of a place. Great post!

Grandy said...

Great post!! Haha!! I am glad your pals keep sending these to you. I will have to be on the look-out for some also.

Lidian said...

Hairball - Perfect logic! I love your comments madly :)

Mikes - Welcome - aboard? No, not aboard. Around? Welcome, anyway! :)

Tori - I couldn't really see what was up, even in the original. I hope it doesn't have to do with the room-odor theme.

Eric - Well, exactly. No idea what's up with that. But 1968 was a year of great social unrest and....oh, I have no idea where to go with this! There's maybe a joke in there somewhere but..I know! Skunk tail as social protest?

Nah. I'll have to think about this some more.

Grandy - Aw, thank you! That's so nice of you :)

The Prince of Centraxis said...

Fpr another good thing from 1968 see
Skidoo at
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/entertainment/watch/v14732149d66xAjZn/autoDownload/true#
It's worth a look.

Unlikely Oilfield Wife said...

I really hate to admit this, but if I had a bit better body, I'd totally sport that romper. It reminds me of a shorts/sleeveless version of the coveralls my husband has to wear offshore.

Lidian said...

Prince of Cetraxis - Thanks for the link, I will check that out later today...

Heather - My mother actually made me a red version of this, when I was about 7, and I really liked it! (And guess what, it was 1969, so right about the time of this ad)

Amy said...

oh my, their thought bubbles look like something out of a seargent pepper cartoon.

Lidian said...

Amy - They do - and this is just the sort of thing the Blue Meanies probably ate. maybe that lady on the left IS a Blue Meanie! :)

Bill said...

Stop it! This one made me laugh out loud. It's late, and I have to be up at 5am.

Must. Look. Away. From. Kitchen. Retro.

Lidian said...

Bill - I am SO glad you are back! :)

Marcheline said...

I am wondering how the house on the left could smell so great when the hostess is wandering around with a burrito stuck to her hair.

How long has that thing been there, exactly?