Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Joke Ties and Their Relation To the Unconscious

This is just what I'll be getting Dr. Freud for Christmas...Because, as you know, it's so hard to shop for psychoanalysts. They don't really just come out and say what they want. They veil things. They say: what do you think I want for a present? And honestly, that makes it tough when you're making out a nice shopping list.

Men roar - women shriek. Must be some terrific party. Or group therapy. One or the other. And all because of the wondrous Snake Bow Tie.

On the surface, it is just an ordinary, tacky checkered bow tie. But when you squeeze the little hidden thingie on the string there (that is the technical term, I believe), a toy snake jumps out. Lots of fun symbolism there. Lots to talk about. Listen to the girls shriek with horror and squeal with delight. Uh, OK. But - I just remembered...My social persona and I have another appointment downtown - gotta run. This was great, we'll have to do it again sometime. Say goodbye to the snake for me, will you?

From Billboard, June 28, 1952.

Note: I thought I might have used the title pun before and well, my subconscious was right: here's an ancient Kitchen Retro post about starch. And corn syrup. I'm glad it was all below the level of consciousness, whatever that means in this case. I'm not even sure I know.

13 comments:

Ellie Finlay said...

Hi!

Just wanted to say here that I discovered your blog yesterday and I just LOVE it. I'm slowly going backward - looking at the old posts and am now somewhere in May.

Your writing is hysterical. You have a marvelously wacky sense of humor.

I'll be sure to come back often. You can count on that!

Eric said...

:) Very classy. And why buy just one when you can have a dozen. I need to start buying all my clothing items by the dozen.

Tori Lennox said...

I wouldn't be squealing with delight. I'd be beating that stupid snake to death with a cast iron skillet. And if the bow-tie wearer got in the way, well that's that's just too bad!

Lidian said...

Ellie - Thank you so so much! :) It means more to me than you can imagine to think that people out - well, There - are enjoying stuff that I've written. And I love writing it, too. But sometimes, like now, I get a little mentally bedraggled and - well, thanks :) BTW, I need to transfer the rest of my old stuff over from WordPress. I think it is Jan-April '08 over there, and I WILL, truly - once things settle down which ought to be mid-August.

Eric - Well, yes, you never know when you might need a few extra novelty ties.

Tori - I always wonder why the manufacturers are so convinced that their item is going to make a party so incredibly great. It really would be my cue to sneak out.

Hairball said...

If a man wears this silly tie, won't the women he scares just run away from him? Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of why most single guys go to parties? *confused*

Kath Lockett said...

Just the checkered bow tie alone would have me shrieking!

Amy said...

A snake bowtie? What a pity it doesn't strangle mr happy...

Lidian said...

Hairball - Yes, all of these ties totally produce the opposite of what the copy promises.

Kath - They probably made them from picnic tablecloths.

Amy - Hopefully they are working on that as the 2.0 model!:)

GoRetroGirl said...

Wow, seriously, what is up with the novelty tie craze in the 30s, 40s, and 50s? Were the men really more socially awkward than they are today that they had to rely on wacky neckwear as conversation starters?

Thanks for posting!

Lidian said...

GoRetroGirl - Yeah, there's a whole sociology (psychology, anthropology) thesis in the Bizarre Novelty Tie trends of this era. I have some even worse ones scanned, which I hesitate to use but - oh, probably will do though! I just have to work up to them.

Bill said...

I had no clue that there were so many novelty ties before I read Kitchen Retro.
This one takes the cake. It is ridiculously obscene. Or obscenely ridiculous. Take your pick.

Lidian said...

Bill - I didn't either. This blog has been more educational than [mumble] years of grad school!

Marcheline said...

Save your money, guys... ANY bow tie can be a snake bow tie! You just have to wear it on your pants zipper. Women will still scream, but guys may not roar. They may punch you in the nuts.