Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Pears On the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

Who could resist this delectable Chocolate Pear Gateau?

Ah, but wouldn't the Cadbury Cocoa people be surprised at the number of hands being raised right about now.

There's something fascinating yet disturbing about the coloring of the pears - they have obviously been residing in a tin for some time, but after their liberation were subjected to some bizarre tinting ritual. It's like makeup for fruit!

Blusher, and then concealer in the form of whipped cream piped all around them, as if to partially conceal them. All of which brings to mind - well, Winnie the Pooh's behind stuck in Rabbit's front door, times twelve, for one.

Also, the tinned pears look terrified. As if they are hiding in that whipped cream. What are they so frightened of?

Perhaps they fear the cook wielding the blusher and the Bournville Cocoa. Perhaps they are frightened of the oven. Or of the hungry throngs gathered round the tea table in the next room. Whatever it is, burying yourself in cream cakes never helps, little pears! Trust me on that one.

[Why the title, one might ask? Oh, one might indeed...You could call it a failure of imagination, or else an excess of it. It just came into my head in the midst of the usual Desperate Search For A Title. It was a good movie, too. Antonio Banderas is in it, it was one of his earliest films. And those pears - they started looking more and more anxious to me as I wrote this...]

Thanks so much to Mags L. Halliday for this delectable image! Mags also presides over the wonderful Moosifer Jones' Grouch, which I highly recommend.

14 comments:

Grace said...

That looks gross...

Eric said...

They are indeed blushy... One might go as far as to say they are empearassed...
But then again, maybe one might not. :)

Tori Lennox said...

That verges (at the very least) on looking obscene to me....

Lidian said...

Grace - Yeah, it does.

Eric - LOL! That is quite a pun and a half :)

Tori - I think so too, it was kind of hard to write this one! But fun too, as always.

Eric said...

Ap-pear-antly... ;)

David said...

I think I would prefer just to eat the fresh pears and forget the recipe altogether.

Mags said...

Thanks, Lidean!

Personally, I don't get why you would spoil a chocolate cake with all that faux cream and some pears? I know the book I got this from is from austerity Britain (1952) so rationing was still in effect but it strikes me that combining two bearable desserts into one is not austere and more, well, mad. And vaguely obscene.

St├ęphanie said...

Beautiful pictures !

Lidian said...

Eric - Sounds of apple-ause for you! :)

David - A wonderful idea.

Mags - Maybe it was something to dream about? Don't know what sort of dreams, though.

Stephanie - Thank you.

Bill said...

I've so enjoyed being able to visit Kitchen Retro again. Occasionally, I'm allowed unlimited access, instead of a brief glimpse before my screen goes blank, followed by a warning that the site is forbidden. It's unpredictable, and makes me wonder if I'm not part of a behavioral science experiment.

Hairball said...

Um, no.

Lidian said...

Bill - Oh, but why would your computer forbid such wholesome entertainment? That is strange. I am so glad to see you here though! I was hoping that all was well when I saw you had commented...

Hairball - Yeah. "Thanks, I ate before I left the house! Sure looks - swell, though."

Shay said...

That looks obscene.

Lidian said...

Shay - It certainly does. This was a challenge to write, because I kept thinking of - unseemly - things :)