Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pudding On the Ritz

When you're blue and you
don't know what to serve next

Why don't you go and get this fix -
Pudding in a mix!


Or, of course, you could just put pudding on a Ritz - chocolate would probably go best with a Ritz cracker. Don't laugh, Betty Crocker probably made these all the time after she got off work. She was too tired to cook anything fancy. Speaking of which....

Jell-O Pudding is the subject of this strange little commercial from the 50s. First let's watch the commercial, and then let it inspire us to make fancy desserts very quickly!



Yes, we've probably all been on that particular treadmill, haven't we? But I never had a baby levitate up to the ceiling, as far as I can remember.

All right, time for dessert. Jell-O Pudding mix had a fancy cousin back in the day called Whip-N-Chill (also made by the Jell-O people), and you could make many extraordinary things out of it. The Whip-N-Chill cookbook says so! These are magical, extraordinary desserts!

Take this Strawberry Sparkle, for example. The pudding bit is easy, just like that commercial says. Put powder in bowl, add milk, beat it for awhile. But then! Then you add the sparkle, because Strawberry is not magical enough on its own. It's got to sparkle! This entails going off and making some strawberry Jell-O and then - get this - putting it through a ricer!

This must be the sort of thing that put the treadmill lady over the edge. When you find yourself ricing Jell-O, it really is time to take a break - even from instant pudding.

Let's all chill out, and I'll see you tomorrow!

14 comments:

Auntie E said...

I remember that,Imade it for Mom all the time.We still have that in our collection. today my daughter make the single serving one, just add milk and stir. Great snack for her!

GoRetroGirl said...

That was a very funny commercial!

Now I have a craving for chocolate pudding.

Eric said...

Mmmm... pudding with 'No Cooking'...
Does the commercial remind anyone else of the old Twilight Zone television show beginnings?

The Peach Tart said...

omg...I haven't thought of whip and chill for decades

Tori Lennox said...

Commercials certainly have gotten more complex, haven't they? I think a five year old made that one.

Diane said...

Super cute! Thanks for sharing.

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Oh my, can I run it thru my lawn mower instead?

Lidian said...

Auntie E - I had no idea you could still get it! My mom used to make it and I liked it. I liked the three-layer Jell-O too.

GoRetroGirl - I love all the retro stuff they have on YouTube :)

Eric - Yeah, now that I have watched it again, it really does.

Peach Tart - I hadn't either, until I found this booklet last summer.

Tori - They are so...professional now, you're right. These retro ones are charmingly - not.

Diane - It was fun to do, thank you for visiting :)

Tracy - That might be a better used for it, really ;)

avintagespirit (Lizzy) said...

Lovely post!
I love JELL-O adds and desserts they come up with.
The Strawberry Sparkle is such a cute sounding dessert. It's so funny to think having to rice JELL-O though.

Lidian said...

Lizzy - I liked the name of this too - and there are actually some rather nice recipes in this book (it is from the early 1970s, it looks like)

Shay said...

You can keep the pudding, but I want that mixing bowl.

Lidian said...

Shay - It is really nice...I love old mixing bowls and kitchenware. Don't have much, but I love what I do have :)

Bill said...

Wow! I always learn something new here. Riced Jell-O.

Now I know why we frequently hopped in the car after supper & went to High's ice cream shop when I was a kid.

Lidian said...

Bill - Ice cream is a MUCH better idea!