Monday, August 17, 2009

Most Beautiful Dessert

Stand aside, elaborate layer cakes, and cupcakes, fancy eclairs and Japanese confections in gorgeous shapes. And just about anything not made of Jell-O with grapes suspended in it, staring at you balefully.

The Most Beautiful Dessert happens to be - Libby's Fruit Cocktail! In a Most Beautiful Can. And also in a nifty little glass dish with stumpy little glass legs (looking as if it was embarrassed by the hyperbole and wanted to run away).

According to the plate pretending to be a clock, it is twenty past pineapple (or almost peach-thirty, it is hard to tell) - so it must be time for canned fruit. Not for a cupcake with a cherry on top. Unfortunately.

And I suspect that there's a box of Jell-O lurking in the canned-salmon-pink foreground, just out of camera range, waiting to improve upon the perfection that is little chunks of soggy fruit dredged up from a can.

The Libby's ad is from a 1960 Better Homes and Gardens (not, you'll notice, Better Desserts and Fruits), via Graphic Design TJS Labs - thanks, TJS Labs!

And the truly lovely cupcake is from Party Perfect - though it originated with the Williams Sonoma site.

And over here at Cowizm there are some pictures of really beautiful Japanese cakes. I don't think the Libby's can would stand much of a chance, really.

7 comments:

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Crazy jello is my favorite...but half past peach thirty is genius!

tracy

Tori Lennox said...

Oh no! I now have the Libby's jingle stuck in my head.

"When it says Libby's Libby's Libby's on the label label label...."

Lidian said...

Tracy - You and I both appreciate crazy Jell-O! :)

Tori - Oh yeah, I remember that commercial now! I loved commercials back then - and print ads, too. More than the actual shows/magazines. Who knew that it would lead to this?

Amy said...

jello and salmon *bleurgh* I simply cannot imagine it.

Mike said...

A simply timeless delicacy from the Year of the Kumquat!

Hairball said...

I love how the can is so full that the lid would never have fit on the can!

Lidian said...

Amy - I think they did combine this sort of thing in the 50s - I'll see what I can find (just not after a meal or anything)

Mike - Yes, it is an ageless concoction! ;)

Hairball - They always think they are fooling us with this sort of thing!