Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Reckless Face Washer

I'm just glad Marie Earle didn't come along with me last week, that's all. All she wants to do is talk of the dangers of "recklessly washing your face" after a sporty jazzy little summer's day of fun!

You're the life of the party, Marie.

Really, if there's a price I have to pay for washing my face after running around all day, I don't want to know it. Nor does the tennis-playing flapper. Marie had better watch what she says, because this lady has a thought bubble full of troubling shapes, which suggest pointed and disjointed thoughts. And she also has a big old tennis racket.

Anyway, last week was fun. Yeah, it was. I almost thought I was going to have internet access, and I imagined dropping in and answering all your comments and so on. I had composed a whole little witty thing in my head. And then the signal did not work. Or whatever you call it. Everyone else said, oh just as well, and really, it probably was.

I guess my laptop had a vacation in its little bag (you'd think it would work a little faster after all that R&R, but never mind).

So I read a lot of books, some of which I will review over at The Doubletake pretty soon in a feature I will probably call The Lazy Book Reviewer, because that's what I am. And I walked on the beach and did a load of crossword puzzles and, well, just had a lot more fun than the Tennis Flapper - who really does appear to be standing as if frozen, perhaps in fear of Marie Earle, on a large top hat.

The ad is from 1928, and from Ad Access.

11 comments:

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Glad you had a vacation...altho I get neurotic with no internet access! lol

tracy

Lidian said...

Tracy - Oh, I DID get neurotic! I checked twice a day to see whether I could get on, but tried to keep the grumbling to a minimum :)

Tori Lennox said...

Welcome home, Lidian!

So this Marie Earle chick is telling us NOT to wash our faces? What's up with that???

beth said...

There's this great book - The Dirt on Clean - it's a fascinating history of bathing, and yes, in the 20's women would NEVER use soap to clean their faces.

I know the feeling Lidian. I'm away most weekends without computer or (egads!) cable access. I get the shakes and sweats on the drive back home, haha! Hope you had a nice vacation - l'm looking forward to your lazy book reviews.

Lidian said...

Tori - Thanks, it's nice to have all my own stuff (but oh the laundry and piles of things to catch up on...) - I think Marie has a cream she's peddling. A hidden agenda!

beth - I am going to look for that book, sounds like my kind of thing - thanks! Every weekend? I would be unbearable (or rather more unbearable - you should have heard me whine, no wonder they were always out in canoes!)

Kath Lockett said...

I don't think Miss Marie Earle would do too much damage with those eighties-style thought bubbles or racquet of hers, because she *is* standing on a bath plug and must therefore be pretty small.....

Shay said...

She looks as though someone has nailed a cloud to the back of her head....

Amy said...

I was wondering if maybe they didn't wash their faces back then is that what they're saying? was it a yearly thing?

Eric said...

Welcome back, hope it was a great time!
ps - the flapper lady's thought balloon shapes look suspiciously like the ancient Mayan glyph shape for the number 6. Apparently ancient meso-Americans knew the price for face washing.

Lidian said...

Kath - Of course, a bath plug! That explains...well, something. Maybe she is too tiny to wash her face?

Shay - And that cloud won't wash off with soap, either.

Amy - Maybe Marie's cream was like Noxema and was a soap substitute?

Eric - Yes, thank you, it was boss :) And I am glad you can read those glyphs, it's good to have an expert around! Maybe 6 was the price, or the number of times you had to use Marie's cream each day.

Hairball said...

"What price will you pay for washing your face this summer?"

I'll have to buy a mask for Halloween instead of having my very own dirty, crusty, pimply face? *confused*