Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Ring Ding-A-Ling

Now it's possible to drink, smoke, point at the girl across the room wearing that hideous pink paisley lamé dress, and gobble deviled eggs - all at once. Sounds like fun? Just wear this ring which has, in place of a big sparkly gem, a beauteous holder for your cigarette.

After this gal has finished snacking, she'll have a hand free to grab people by the arm when they start looking around for someone else to talk to. She'll make them stay and listen to the saga of how she was discovered last April at Schrafft's and almost got offered a Hollywood screen test. She was having a cream soda. and the Big Movie Producer (who turned out to be a shoe salesman from Peoria) had just ordered a doughnut - a jelly doughnut. No, wait. It was plain with, you know that powdered sugar they have on doughnuts?...She'll need to grab an arm just about now.

So no Hollywood contract, but at least she has a Hollywood Finger-Cigarette-Ring.

From Billboard, November 27, 1954.

13 comments:

feefifoto said...

Isn't that what Norma Desmond used?

David said...

All that glamour for a mere 19 cents.

Tori Lennox said...

That looks kind of dangerous to me....

Susan DeAngelis said...

I thought it was Marilyn Monroe, no, or Jane Mansfield?

-Sue

Lidian said...

feefifoto - But of course.

David - It really is an amazing bargain!

Tori - I think that it probably was.

Susan - Or one of their lesser cousins...

Bill said...

How nice! A mid-century multi-tasking tool.
How do you flick the ash, though? I guess you just heedlessly wait for it to drop off where it may...carpet, dinner plate, office typewriter keys.

I remember Norma using one of these clever devices.

Steve said...

Avoid scratching your head too, especially if you are wearing hairspray.

Lidian said...

Bill - I didn't remember Norma using this; time for me to screen Sunset B again! (It's been about 20 years since I last saw it)

Steve - That is an excellent point! lol

Hairball said...

Another fabulous use for this item would be to hold snacks. Just whittle down your favorite raw veggies to fit inside the ring and snack away!

Lidian said...

Hairball - That makes it really healthy, too! Much better.

Benjamin Auffarth said...

Nice blog! What's the company of the cigarette holder? The Casio brothers got their first money from selling these after the war. A Japanese friend explained me that it was very useful because people could use both hands for construction work (a lot of that in Japan in the 1940s). The income allowed the Casios to stop working for a year and concentrate on building calculators.

Marcheline said...

I'd like to see the ring they made for men.... heh heh! Smoke'em if ya got'em!

Cari Hislop said...

I love the picture. It's that smarmy exaggerated smile. "If you like how I smoke this cigarette hazardously perched on my finger waiting to set myself alight...just wait 'till you see the damage I can do with my lipstick ring!"