Monday, August 10, 2009

They're Very Refreshing!

Fake chocolate and a little mint
No bigger than a nickel,
All nestled in a cardboard box
The size of a dill pickle.

They are quite sugary, that is true
But is there nothing sweeter?
I'm sure they sell a lot of chocolate
In the local movie theater,

And likewise at the soda shop
There's ice cream and hot fudge
At every turn, glucose looms -
A townful of sweet sludge!

So tone it down some, if you please
It's easy - well, as pie;
And tell your admen to come off
Their verbal sugar high.

[Advertisement (1953) thanks to TJS Labs.]

******

Junior Mints are also the focal point of a Seinfeld episode where Jerry and Kramer go to watch an operation in a hospital operating theater, and Kramer is munching Junior Mints as if he was at the movies. One flying Junior Mint actually lands in the patient and (in the end) saves him. Kramer doesn't understand why Jerry keeps turning the candy down: "It's chocolate - it's mint - it's delicious! It's very refreshing!"


8 comments:

Eric said...

Welch's made Junior Mints??? I guess it makes sense with the whole 'mint jelly for lamb' endgame.

Thanks, I never would have imagined...

Tori Lennox said...

I would think a spoonful of sugar out of the sugar bowl would be sweeter, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Shinade aka Jackie said...

oh my I am telling my age for sure. But, it simply wasn't a good day at the movies without a box of these, some popcorn and a huge dill pickle!!
Happy week!!:-)

Amy said...

That's funny, I haven't seen that particular seinfeld episode

Grace said...

I LOVE them - also York's Peppermint Patties (or whatever they are called). Chocolate and mint - Yummy. Chocolate and fruit - Yummy Chocolate and just about anything - Yummy!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

They melt into a nice icing on a hot cake :)

beth said...

Cute poem, Lidian! MMMMMM...junior mints.

Marcheline said...

For someone Sally's age, her "junior mints" seem to be hanging a bit low...