Thursday, September 10, 2009

Good News From 1926

We all like a little good news, don't we? But this man's idea of something that will cheer you up is - unusual.

He looks like he's got something straight off the telegraph wire and Mae Morris, Girl Reporter, is taking notes because she's got the scoop of the day. Dateline New York: Sergeant's Mange Medicine has no tar odor!

Now you may be wondering what in the world is mange medicine, unless you are a dog owner. From the ad copy it appears that this is a shampoo. Mange is a contagious skin disease caused by mites. Dogs get mange. Humans, not so much - unless they did in the 1920s more than they do now. Fun with social history! There's a research project I'll be avoiding, that's for sure.

Actually, the Polk Miller Company made products for dogs, according to Katherine Grier in her 2006 book Pets In America: A History (p. 293) - and advertised Sergeant's as being good for dog owners and dogs alike. That's a nice way to bond, I guess - sharing mange shampoo.

From the New York Times, October 1926.

15 comments:

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

OH. MY. GAWD.

Speechless....just speechless....

Tori Lennox said...

I've heard of people being called a dog before, but I never thought that would give them mange. LOL!

Hairball said...

If this is such "good news", why does the man look so stern? One might think the poor fellow was constipated and in need of a dose of ENO's Fruit Salt.

*ducks and runs*

Lidian said...

Tracy - I know, lol!

Tori - I never heard of anyone getting mange, ever. It is pretty strange.

Hairball - He definitely needs some Eno's, then he's have some really good news!

Jude said...

Your ads are hilarious and usually after reading them I forget to drop and always have to come back. Of course the second time keeps your bounce rate down even if you don't get a credit any more, but getting traffic is good. I'll have to dig out a few of my old mags and see if I can find some ads.

ivenx oyz said...

Hi .. information is really good for the refer to,,,
success always,,, I'll see you later ..

Buggys said...

I do love progress! Mange? Maybe it was dandruff shampoo...isn't tar an ingredient in some of those?

Lidian said...

Jude - I am lucky to have some amazing ad sources, including many very nice people who allow me to use their scans - :)

ivenx oyz - Thanks for visiting

Buggys - I think you're right, they do still use tar in some of those dandruff shampoos (I think)

Kirsten said...

That's gross!!!
I draw the line at sharing my cat's flea collar!

Eric said...

I have no idea why, but I just visualized a weird image of a dog using its front paws lathering up shampoo on its head in a shower.

So glad none of my relatives have the mange.

Lidian said...

Kirsten - It is really gross, yes.

Eric - I'm glad to say we're also mange-free. And that's good news!

kathcom said...

I can't believe that they sold it for fifty years before they took the tar smell out.

Mange would be hard enough to explain without smelling like a new driveway.

Lidian said...

kathcom - Hey, you're right - why did it take them so long?!

Shay said...

Maybe the secretary uses it; certainly there's something wrong with her hair!

Lidian said...

Shay - That's true...Hmmm...