Monday, September 7, 2009

Let Them Eat Jell-O

Yay, it's a birthday party in 1965! I suspect it's Charlie Brown's birthday, from the look of things. You'll see.

So we've played Pin the Tail on the Donkey and we've ground some popcorn into the carpet* and now it is time for the cake! Hope it's chocolate, everyone likes that.

But look! It isn't a cake at all - it's a Birthday Surprise. Also known as a ring of red Jell-O. That's the official flavor, by the way - red.

Sorry, but the ice cream in the middle doesn't make up for the gelatin ring sitting there all smug and wiggly. And the gumdrops don't help either. I notice that there are two candles on this Surprise. Is the lucky birthday child two? Or twenty? Either way, it just isn't going to work.

In keeping with the subtextual theme of Disappointment at this party: loot bags filled with plastic combs and Chiclets, a magician who pulls rabbit pellets out of a hat, and party hats made out of grey shirt cardboard.

This is from the 4th edition of The Joys of Jell-O, probably circa 1965.

*My friends and I actually did this at my 1968 birthday party. But we did not have any surprise Jell-O rings show up.

6 comments:

vanilla said...

Oh, my. A birthday party that is just wrong on so many levels. ;)

Lidian said...

vanilla - It really is completely wrong! I wonder which age group this was aimed at - not that anyone really asks for a Jell-O ring on their birthday, though.

Tori Lennox said...

Yep. I'd certainly be surprised if I got that instead of REAL cake on my birthday!

Lidian said...

Tori - I would be surprised and dismayed ;)

Beth said...

Are you sure this didn't come from the less popular cookbook, The Heartbreaking Disappointment of Jell-O? At least it doesn't have canned peas and carrots suspended in it.

Lidian said...

Beth - It should have, definitely. And I have just the bread to go with it (but I'll post that another week) - it is really very disappointing! ;)