Thursday, September 3, 2009

Shambolic Logic

Love means never having to say you're sorry.

And marriage? That means never having to say you're sorry you have to hang the wet laundry up inside the house.

Or perhaps it does.

Sheila is not having a good day at all. It's "another wet Monday" - of course it's Monday - and there she is with a big laundry basket brimming with soppy socks and drippy drawers. She has to fling it over the lampshades and hang it from the bedposts and the towel rack and shower rod. I mean, she can't toast it dry in the oven, right? Right. That's only logical.

Ah, but try explaining that to Roderick. Here he comes, marching in - in a tuxedo, it looks like - and pronounces the place a shambles.* Where's he been all day, a nightclub? He's lucky he doesn't get a wet sock right in the face!

The helpful, slightly smarmy friend in these little advertising dramas is supposed to show up about now, and there she is, right on cue. This one brags that although she lives in a tiny flat, her laundry is not a shambles. She has a Parnall Auto-Dry. The little minx! That's how she makes the time to go nightclubbing every day. Like Roderick. Hmmm.

...Next thing you know, Sheila has got him to buy her the very same Auto-Dry. We really can afford it, darling, she says. In other words: you'd better pony up, mister. Or else there'll be a nice, big wet blanket for you in next week's shambles.

[A big thank you to Amy at I Love Retro Things for the ad.]

******

And thank you to Traci of Just Bloggled (I love that name!) for this I Love Lucy award - I am a huge I Love Lucy fan; we have the entire DVD set of the series and watch them often. The picture in the award is from Lucy and Ethel's stint as candy makers, dipping cream centers in chocolate: "I'm a Big Dipper from way back." I'm as thrilled as Lucy is when she's about to get onstage at the Tropicana!

16 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

Frankly, I'm amazed that her house is instantly neat just because Roderick ponied up with a brand spanking newfangled washer/dryer. My place is a shambles but there isn't a single piece of wet laundry in sight.

Hairball said...

This one reminds me of my mother telling me how my father decided that they really should buy a dryer back in the 60s. Mother was in bed with a bad case of the flu, my brother was in diapers, it was the middle of winter, and my father had to take over washing the laundry and hanging it on the clothesline.

Lucy rocks!! I love the episode where she is doing the Vitameatavegamin Commercial.

Lidian said...

Tori - I know what you mean. Good thing he can't see my desk. And the living room. And - um, everywhere in our house :)

Hairball - I actually wrote about the Vitameatavegemin episode - one of my faves - at Dime Museum a long time ago when I hadn't focused as well on history, and KR was still a cookbook blog. It's called "Vitameatavegemin For Your Dog" and am too lazy to find a link.

Lucy is the best! And Vivian Vance was amazing too, esp in things like the operetta "The Pleasant peasant" when she sings a solo. Fabulous voice and a great comedic talent.

Rofl Stuffz said...

Ah, retro ads. How times have changed. Thanks.

Rofl Stuffz

David said...

Let the record show that is not the Parnall Auto-Dry as pictured.

It is the Parnall Auto-Dry De Luxe. Those silly fools forgot to have the lawyers review the advertisments before publishing.

Lidian said...

Rofl Stuffz - And yet one is still told in ads that a product will change your life in some ridiculous way, right? ;)

David - Oh dear, that is a shocking omission! Thank you for being astute enough to spot it :)

Amy said...

LOL you crack me up with the way you interpret the ads I send you :-)
btw I'm emailing you some more.

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

I vote he gets a wet sock in the face, or a wet brick....him and his smarmy little friend.

Lidian said...

Amy - Again, thank you so so much! You find the greatest ads, it is fun to write about them :)

Tracy - I second that!

Dee said...

I noticed that the wife points out the dryer that she wants, but then the husband takes the credit for "choosing" it for her. He needs to go back to the club and stay there.

Patrick said...

Oh, Roderick. If only you weren't such a dick about it...
Lidian, you always put that sunshine in my otherwise cloudy day :)

Eric said...

This ad makes me wonder to myself, 'Self, what did they ever do before they had electricity?'

Oh yeah, and driers...

Lidian said...

Dee - I didn't care for that either.

Patrick - I always look forward to reading you, too :)

Eric - They were all in a shambles, that's what ;)

Relax Max said...

Is it my imagination, or does that last panel hinting that Roderick is about to score?

Speaking of Lucy, ol' Ricky was always out at a nightclub too. In a puffy shirt, though.

Lidian said...

Max - I see what you mean, I think he's hoping to score, anyway. And yes, there are some odd Lucy-Ricky parallels in this ad.

Marcheline said...

I love the way he says, "aren't you glad I chose the Parnall Auto-Dry for you"...

First off, buddy, you didn't "choose" squat! Sheila's girlfriend on the side* came up with the idea. You were busy knocking back highballs at the club, so don't go getting all cocky about the clothes dryer!

Secondly, what's this "for you" crap? Now that there's a clothes dryer in the house, Sheila will be hitting the nightclub with her girlfriend on the side*, and you can stay home and do the laundry for a change!


* We know she's the girlfriend on the side. She gives it away with the line "You know MY tiny flat." I suspect Sheila knows it very well... can you blame her? She married a complete douchebag who calls their home a SHAMBLES! The nerve!