Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Sound of One Shoe Clapping

This is a fun ad from the Toronto Star in 1951. It raises the age-old question: how does one sell a pair of boring and, let's be honest, clunky shoes?

First, make up some really snazzy slogans: "Time Tested" and "Sincere Service."

In other words, you'll be stuck with them forever since they never wear out. You can test them until the end of time, basically. And when they sell them to you, they won't try and pretend the shoes are exciting and stylish. They're sincere. They know that those are boring clunky shoes.

Next comes a little alliteration: Walk in Comfort with Clapp's Correct Shoes. Look at all those words beginning with C! It's like beautiful poetry. Sort of.

Plus you will be able to see a "New Free Fall Style" pretty soon. So you can literally go into a free fall in these - they are ideal, it would seem, for parachuting around town in. Not sounding quite so clunky now, are they?

And if all that doesn't convince you, just think of all the jokes you can make about the name Clapp - at the same time that you're walking in comfort. Comfort and humor: that's hard to beat.

13 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

My own shoes are kind of clunky but at least they aren't as ugly as Clapp's shoes. And is there just one dude named Clapp at this establishment? Otherwise, wouldn't it be ClappS's?

Unfinished Rambler said...

I think I'd pass on the Clapp. I mean, Clapp's. ;)

Bluebirdy said...

P.S. I just looked through your list of blogs you like, and I have many of them listed on my list as well, so I am surprised I didn't run into your blog sooner!
My grandmother wore these shoes. I think she kept buying the same pair from the 1930s until her death in the 60s. Memorieeees-lalalala. lol.
Sheila

Amy said...

LOL so if someone asked you where you got your shoes you'd seriously be afraid to say I got them at Clapp's

Drowsey Monkey said...

I think I have those.

Lidian said...

Tori - It isn't clear how many Clapps were clapping around the shoe store, as it were.

Unfinished Ramber - LOL! My sentiments exactly.

Sheila - Hi and welcome :) My dear grandmother wore these in the 30s, too.

Amy - No, I'd keep that a secret all right!

Drowsey Monkey - They are a classic vintage item, now, I'll bet...Do you really? Please do tell!

Ann said...

those shoes look familiar, I think my grandmother had a pair like that.
I wouldn't want anyone to give me the clapp (shoes) and I certainly wouldn't pay good money for it (them)

Beth said...

I like that the embrace all children - brown kids, black kids, white kids, too!

er, uh, strike that...kid as in leather, right?

Lidian said...

Beth - Oh dear, I hope not!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

I looked at these a few days ago and didn't even know what to say cause all I kept thinking was - ugliest shoes Ive ever seen. I kept thinking I'll be back to say something witty. And Im back with nothing witty at all.

Still - ugliest shoes Ive ever seen.

sorry. I tried for witty

Lidian said...

Tracy - They kind of left me speechless for awhile too.

Jessica Cangiano said...

Granted these were "kid" (leather), but compared to what shoes of the time often went for in Sears catalogues of the day (and elsewhere), these are a tad on the pricey side for the 50s. You could stretch $16.95 quite far back in those wonderful day :)

Thank you very much for your recent comment, dear, I hope you're having a wonderful week!
♥ Jessica

Lidian said...

Jessica - They really do seem pricey. I am sure that my dear grandmother never paid that much for her sensible shoes, in NYC!