Friday, September 18, 2009

A Staten Island Of the Mind

Greetings from this week's destination, the Hylan Motel in the not-so-highlands - or hylans - of Staten Island (or Eylan). Yeah, OK. That's enough fun with the name. Maybe even too much fun.

Moving on...

You won't be at all surprised to learn that this motel was on Hylan Boulevard, one of the main north-south roads on the Island (which is one of the five boroughs of New York City).

I went on a field trip to a museum on Staten Island, back in the early 1970s. We took a school bus from Manhattan and the bus got on the Staten Island ferry with us in it. Then on Staten Island, the bus got lost and we went around and around a roundabout. The crossing guard waved to us each time we passed her. When we got to the museum it was not really a museum and the curator (of sorts) was a little old lady who yelled at us.

We did not get to see the Hylan Motel, but it was still pretty good fun. Except, of course, for the yelling part.

Judging once again from the enormity of the white car in the background, and the sign extolling the air conditioning, this probably dates from the 1950s. From the NYPL Digital Gallery.

And here is a fun little home movie shot at New Dorp, Staten Island about 1940. The pharmacist and his pals are really funny - check out the guy with the pipe. He's quite a dude, is he not?

6 comments:

vanilla said...

Nice clip. Whether one lived in the East or in the West, apparently the '40s were the '40s.
Followed your bus station, now I wonder if I have a "motel"?

wv: mistwiti = Miss Twitty?

Lidian said...

vanilla - I hope you do, I like motel postcards!

cherie said...

fun!

Laura said...

I photographed a few abandoned motels on my trip up north, in Ontario. When I uploaded them to Flickr I even made a group for them just to see what else was out there.

Lidian said...

Laura - That sounds cool, I would love to check that out!

Marcheline said...

Argh, I hate when the "video has been removed by the user". I wanted to see the dude with the pipe!