Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Stripes and Wagon Wheels


It's 1971 and you want to redecorate the living room. Well, here's a great idea from decorator/romance novelist* Barbara Taylor Bradford:

Stripes and postmodern wagon wheels.

Lots of stripes. Lots of wagon wheels. You can make those out of jumbo spaghetti and pink hula hoops. And you probably have lots of those lying around the house, anyway, right?

Add a few zebra pillows and wobbly white plastic tables from the back porch and you're all set.

Bradford calls this "a handsome room with masculine overtones....suggest[ing] movement and contrast...without distracting the eye." I don't know about you but I actually find it a little - distracting.

From Bradford's book Easy Steps to Successful Decorating, which is filled with pictures like this.

* Actually, Bradford's first novel, A Woman of Substance, did not come out until 1979. Prior to that she was primarily known as a decorating and fashion expert. She wrote a column called "Designing Woman" and had written two other books, The Complete Encyclopedia of Homemaking and Decorating To Please Him.

21 comments:

vanilla said...

"Style" comes and style goes. Keeps the designers in business.

PJ said...

i believe that room would give me a constant headache, no thank you.

Shinade aka Jackie said...

How in the world could anyone ever rest in that room? It is so active!!

My eyes just wander everywhere! it's hard to believe she was a designer!!

LOL, this may explain why she changed careers!!

Thanks Lidian for your kind words and support!!

I hope you have a great day!
Jackie

Shinade aka Jackie said...

How in the world could anyone ever rest in that room? It is so active!!

My eyes just wander everywhere! it's hard to believe she was a designer!!

LOL, this may explain why she changed careers!!

Thanks Lidian for your kind words and support!!

I hope you have a great day!
Jackie

Shinade aka Jackie said...

How in the world could anyone ever rest in that room? It is so active!!

My eyes just wander everywhere! it's hard to believe she was a designer!!

LOL, this may explain why she changed careers!!

Thanks Lidian for your kind words and support!!

I hope you have a great day!
Jackie

Lidian said...

vanilla - You got that right! And it keeps retro bloggers happy too ;)

PJ - It is sort of a visual headache, yes.

Jackie - I agree! I know her name but have never read any of her novels...

Buggys said...

Ooh that room is a hot mess! I think I had a nightmare last night and I was in that room.
Imagine for a moment that she probably sold some of those books?!?

Lidian said...

Buggys - She did sell some of those books (at least the one I have got)! lol But i can't imagine people actually trying to emulate this.

Sandee said...

I find it a lot distracting, but it's certainly 70s.

Have a terrific day. :)

Lin said...

I love that sofa-matches-the-wallpaper look! You can hardly see them in the room!

Lidian said...

Sandee - It really does scream 70s!

Lin - It's like one of those visual puzzles, isn't it?

RE-EntrePOD said...

oooo I'm getting dizzy from the strobing. this is like being on a 70's trip back.

This is a Goodone Lidian

Lidian said...

RE - That is exactly what it's like! lol

Jude said...

Looking at some of my past decorating compared to this makes mine look heavenly.

Lidian said...

Jude - Maybe it's really supposed to just make us all feel better about our own decorating choices ;)

Grace said...

No, that's just wrong on every level...

Kirsten said...

I love that she was finished with that room and then decided that it needed some zebra pillows to add a little "movement".

Lidian said...

Kirsten - She liked all the little details. In the description she goes on about the blue ashtrays, too.

Amy said...

oh my goodness that's could be the cause of a great headache! I'd hate to face it after a hangover!

Annika said...

Oh, I was wondering why I kept finding old interior decoration books at the local Goodwill by her - now it all makes sense. I thought she had gone batty in her old age and I can tell from the room displayed above that indeed she had.

Marcheline said...

Sofa? There's no sofa here! No, sirree - no sofa at all. I think the wallpaper ate it.