Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Uncool and Not Solid

Hey, here's a little something that teens will love!
A tomato red dress, a lifeguard above,
A really tight suit that's all kinds of wrong
For a gal who's been out in the sun too long.

Laughing and laughing: what is funny, and why?
Is it fun to be watched by some weird hand-drawn guy?
He isn't that solid, and you can't be cool,
Whoever thought that up was kind of a fool.

They're stuck in that sand like it's made of cement
Fun without freedom: is that what they meant?
To stand out in the sun in Colonial Frocks
Is less fun than a barrel of sedimentary rocks.

'Cool and Solid' could be a deodorant, perhaps -
Not tight formal dresses on two laughing saps;
This must be a bad dream, alas never stopping
After too much sun, or a rough day of shopping.

Thanks to Uh...Bob at Flickr for this one.

16 comments:

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Oh, my. I don't get this ad at all! What about this makes any sense at all and yes, deodorant was what I thought of too. But this is for dresses?

Honestly, this is the best they could come up with? I've totally never seen that ad before! Whats with the lifeguard? Is he getting read to call the police on the weirdo gals on the beach in the dresses?

heidi said...

I dig your rhyme - every time!

I'll admit to being a bit wigged out by the lack of feet on the business-ain't-casual girls on the beach. Perhaps the lifeguard burned him off with his laser vision?

Great ad. Reminds me to put on my deoderant, even if that's not the point at all.

GoRetroGirl said...

LOL - great poetic commentary!

I'm a little scared by the fact that both of these ladies are missing their feet and ankles.

Umamutante said...

Great Blog and nice post!! Love!


http://aomundomuderno.blogspot.com/

Tori Lennox said...

What was up with all the obviously drug-induced ads from back in the day?

Lidian said...

Tracy - That lifeguard is the weirdest one I have ever seen!

heidi - It was all so weird I didn't quite know where to start...

GoRetroGirl - Me too. It occurs to me that the 'Cool and Solid' may refer to the cement or plaster of Paris that they are standing in. Which is very strange.

Umamutante - Thanks, and welcome!

Tori - Gearing up for the 60s, in this case, I think.

Amy said...

Very strange, what's a lifeguard got to do with pretty dresses?

Lidian said...

Amy - Not a thing, as far as I can see...

Heavenly Housewife said...

Hi there, thanks for visiting my blog yesterday :), I'm just having a browse around yours, I love it, its so clever!!! Great images!

Lidian said...

Heavenly Housewife - Ditto! I am glad I found your blog too. And thank you! :)

Eric said...

Great poetry work there.

So, if I understand you correctly, what you seem to be saying is that the days when girls wear formal dresses to the swimming pool are over? Awwww.

Lidian said...

Eric - I think they were over before they even got started!

Hairball said...

Huh? This ad is just crazy!

P.L. Frederick said...

From here it looks like he's sitting on the toilet. Solid.

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

Lidian said...

Hairball - It certainly is!

P.L. - Oh my, you are right, it does! I'm not going to even try interpreting that! lol

Marcheline said...

This is fantastic retro lesbian art! Girls holding hands, men emasculated by being pencil drawn and having their pelvis completely erased...